Chapter Eleven: This is going to be a lonnng night (pt. 1)

-Marinette-

"So, what's going on with you and Lila?" Alya asks. 

Alya and I haven't seen each other a lot recently, so we decided to get together on the weekend. Right now we're walking through a park, trying to find André's ice cream.

"Huh?! W-what do you mean? N-nothing's going on between me and Lila!" I panic with a shrill voice.

Alya raises an eyebrow and puts her hands on her hips. "Uh, I meant are you friends?" She smirks.

My face must look like a tomato right now. "I-I knew that! I just meant that um..." I trail off, struggling to find a reasonable explanation.

And of course, Alya being Alya, decides to push further. "So, how about you and Adrien?"

"Oh! W-we're good! I mean, not good. Because we're still just friends. But you know, i-it's not that bad."

"Hmmm...well, maybe that can change."

Alya has a mischievous look in her eye. I look at her with confusion.

"What do you mean?"

"My parents are going out of town this week, meaning, I have the house to myself. And me, being the awesome person that I am, am throwing a party for everyone to celebrate the release of my new interview with Ladybug!"

"Oh wow! That's really cool Alya! But I still don't see your point."

"You didn't let me finish. You should take Adrien as your date!"

I freeze. "What?! Are you crazy? I couldn't--I mean I--I don't know. Adrien has been pretty busy lately. And besides, why would he want to go with me? I told you that he doesn't see me as anything other than a friend."

"I know, I know. But maybe you could tell him that you're just going 'as friends.' Besides, who else would you take?"

I hesitate. "I-I don't know...yeah. I guess I could ask him."

Lila. You could take Lila.

"Great! I would ask if wanted me to ask Nino where he is, but I'm sure you know that boy's schedule by heart." A little ping shoots out of Alya's phone, and she says, "Shoot! I have to go. Text me later, okay?"

"Sure, Alya. Bye!" I smile weakly as she runs off.

Great. Just great. Why do you always have to say yes to everything, Marinette?!

After calling a cab and a ten minute drive, I arrive at the school where Adrien is having his fencing lesson. 

"Thank you, sir!" I thank the driver and run into the school. A flash of red zooms out in front of me. 

"Marinette!" Tikki yells. Voices travel up the hall.

I panic. "Tikki! Someone might see you!" I glance around frantically until I spot the locker room. "Quick! Hide!" I usher her into the room. 

"Whew! That was close." I whip around to face Tikki and glare at her. "What is it?"

"Marinette Dupain-Cheng. You shouldn't have done that!" Tikki puts her small hands on her hips and looks at me angrily.

"I shouldn't have done what?"

"Said yes to Alya like that! Back at the park when she said you should bring Adrien!"

"What do you mean? I thought you liked Adrien. Don't you want me to have a good time with my crush?!" 

"Yes. And that is precisely why you shouldn't bring Adrien!"

I glance at the door. The voices are getting louder as the fencing team approaches the locker room. 

"I don't know what you're talking about!" I whisper shout. "Adrien is my crush!"

Tikki sighs and shakes her head. "Come on, Marinette. I think we both know who you really want to take to that party."

"I-I have no idea what you're talking about!" Heat rises to my cheeks and I can feel my palms starting to sweat.

"Yes, you do! Marinette, the only person you want to take to that party is Li-"

But before Tikki can finish her sentence, I shove her and me into an empty locker right as Adrien and Kagami come around the corner.

"Marinette!" Tikki whisper shouts.

"Shhhh!" I press my ear against the door, trying to make out what the pair is saying.

"Yes, I got an invite as well. Are you planning on going?"

An invite? To what?

"-might not let me. He's pretty strict when it comes to, well, anything. But maybe I can convince him to let me go. He's got a huge fashion show coming up, so he'll be busy all evening." Adrien's voice flutters through the crack in the locker, and I push the door open ever so slightly.  

"That is a shame. I understand though. My mother may not let me attend this event either. It would be my first party." Kagami is standing there in her bright red suit. Even though we're friends now, I still get a little pang of jealousy whenever she talks to Adrien. However, this time I don't feel anything. It's like I'm just watching two people talking, not the boy I'm in love with talking to another ex-enemy. Or, the boy I like, I guess. My...crush? Friend? Fellow student?

Adrien's eyes widen in surprise. "Really? Your first-party? Wow, then you have to go, I don't care what your mother says. You and I are going to that party together."

And, for the first time ever, Kagami hesitates. "...Together?"

Adrien clearly didn't expect this. He pauses for just a second. I almost miss it. "N-no. I mean, y-yes. Tog-gether? I mean, *ahem* yes. Together. As friends. Or...as my, um, date? I-is that okay?" Adrien tries to keep his cool, but right now he's stuttering more than I do.

"Um," Kagami...blushes? Wait, what? "Y-yes. I would like that." 

The two stand there awkwardly, still in their fencing uniforms. Then, Kagami gives Adrien a quick peck on the cheek and runs away without even looking at him.

"Pick me up at 7:00!" she calls.

Adrien stands there and slowly raises a hand to the spot where Kagami kissed him. His eyes are wide, his mouth open, and his cheeks red. He quickly glances around as though someone might have seen him. Well, someone did. He grabs his duffle bag and marches out of the locker room, forgetting to change.

I slowly open the locker door and step out. 

Tikki zooms out and says, "Wow! Adrien just asked Kagami to be his date to the party! Can you believe it?"

"Yeah..." I mutter, dazed. "Yeah, he did," I say as my head starts to clear and realization creeps into my mind. "And you know what? I don't even care."

"Mom, Dad, I'm home!" I sigh as the bell in the bakery door jingles. No answer. They must be out. I drag my feet upstairs until I reach my bedroom. But when I open the door, someone is already there.