Prologue "In the Past" | Part two

"So what? You want me to learn magic." I question,

"Well, yes," Douxie says jumping around with adrenaline, running across the room, grabbing a red book from one of the shelves, "This." He says, placing the book in front of me.

Life of a Wizard

"Wizards with good magic, and good skills, have life spans MUCH longer than 1,000 years, if you learn magic from Merlin, you can live long enough to go back through the portal!" Douxie says excitedly.

With wonder, I grab the book, opening up to the index. I smile a Douxie, "Let's do it."

From then on

I trained tirelessly

Wanting nothing more than to go home

I meditated for hours

I read all the books
   Even the ones Merlin didn't allow me to

I spent time living in the forest
   Alone

I even did a LOT of combat training after
I almost died in the Battle of Killahead
   Like a LOT of training

After about 3 years, I had mastered all the basics of magic.

And could best some of the.. more dedicated knights of the Kingdom
   They weren't very happy about it

Douxie became my best friend, and I became his. We spent every second of every day together while he trained.

He helped me master any skills I struggled with. I gave him new ideas for things to try out, despite Merlin's advocation for controlled magic.

Sitting in the large hall, studying my Grimoire, I smile slightly, listening to the yelling and of the king's men as they drink. One of the king's knights approaches me, a green mist swirling around his head.

"The Great Merlin requests you."

Sighing, I shut my book, putting it in my satchel. The knight walks away.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Hello?" I say, walking into the study room, "What's going on?"

"SURPRISE!!" Douxie jumps out in front of me.

"AHH!" I stumble back a bit.

A banner falls from the ceiling reading 'Congrats!', next to it Merlin stands with no expression.

"What's all this for?"

"It's a congratulations Y/n! Merlin says you finished all the training you need to expand your lifespan. You made it!" Douxie smiles, hugging me.

"O-oh," I say, freezing under his touch.

Pulling back, he looks at me confused, "What's wrong?"

I glance at Merlin, pleading for some help but he gives me nothing.

"We need to talk," I say, pulling Douxie outside.

"What's going on?" He asks,

"I talked with Merlin," I say, clasping his hands in mine, "he confirmed some.. suspicions of mine that I've been thinking over for a long time." I look up at him, tears glossing over.

He looks at me worried.

"I can live long enough to find another Increthidn. But with my current power, I won't be able to find it, let alone control where it takes me." I squeeze his hands, "The power I need, the things I need to know, Merlin cannot teach me. I have to find them on my own. Take my own path."

"So you're saying.." He says, not wanting to finish.

"I can't stay here, I have to leave."

His eyes begin to water. Pulling me into a hug, he squeezes me against his chest.

"I'm sorry," I say, tears spilling from my eyes, hugging him back.

Putting his chin on my head, "You have nothing to be sorry for," He whispers.

Looking down at the ground, there sits a very sad Archie.

"C'mere" I whisper with a sob.

Archie flies up joining our hug.

We all stand there for a few minutes before Douxie pulls away. Sniffling, I wipe my tears.

"Hey," He makes me look at him, "Promise me, when the time comes, you come find me before you leave"

I nod with a sad smile.

Merlin steps out from the study room, almost stoic expression if it wasn't for the softness in his eyes.

"Young L/n, I believe you are to be sent off soon."

Taking a deep shuddering breath I nod, heading to my room to go pack.

Throwing all my things into a bag, wiring occasional tears.

A soft knock on my door, I turn around to see Merlin with a box.

"To help you on your journey," He says, handing it to me.

Curiously, I pry it open, finding a chocker-like necklace, ear cuff, and small rod.

"This," He reaches in grabbing the necklace, "Influences your power, value it, and it will support you when you need it most."

I grab the ear cuff, "And this?"

Smiling slightly, "This. Alerts your senses when danger is near, the magic in it won't last more than a year or so, but I hope it will help you while you gain your footing." He grabs the rod, "And this," He places it in my hand, adjusting my grip on it so it's proper, "Is tied to you specifically." He takes a step back.

"What exactly am I supposed to do with it?"

"Expel some of your magic into it, slowly."

Doing as he says, the red glow spilling from my hands, enveloping the rod, mimicking the shape.

It begins to stretch out, a long staff being made.

"Whoa,"

"The staff is now a part of you, useful for focusing your magic, it is nothing but a tool." He says, "It can also help you fly"

"Like a witches' broom?"

"Not quite, you do not need to sit on it, holding it is enough to send you soaring."

"Thank you, Merlin." I smile.

He leaves my room. Taking a deep breath, the staff disappears like sand falling through my fingers, but I can tell it's not gone. Putting my other new gadgets on I sigh with satisfaction. Despite my sadness, I smile, preparing myself for what's to come.

Walking out through the gate of the city, I sigh.

"Y/N!" I hear someone yell.

Turning around, I see Douxie running at me.

"Douxie?"

Running up to me, he grabs the sides of my face, breathing heavily.

He presses his lips to mine. The kiss is filled with desperation.

I stiffen at his actions, before I can kiss back he pulls away.

"I-I-I im sorry, I just, I had to, in case-" He freaks out.

"Doux!" I snap him out of it, "You WILL see me again," I reassure, kissing his cheek.

He blushes, standing there, at the gate, tears welling in his eyes, watching the girl he loves walk into the shadows of the forest. Knowing their meeting again is not a certain thing.