Chapter 11 | Sweet 16

Standing outside, Toby leans out his window, looking down at me. With a big smile, I throw him two thumbs up. Slipping inside again, Toby comes back out, tossing me a walkie-talkie, I mouth a thank you, turning to face Jim's house. 

"Warhammer to Trollhunter. Copy?" Toby says through his walkie,

"Copy. What is it, Tobes?"

"Look out your window!"

Jim's head pops out of his window and I throw my arms out in a 'ta-da!' motion, Toby holds out a cardboard cake, waving at Jim with his other hand. 

"I think a bird or something tore away a piece of your drawing, Tobes," Jim says,

"Ah, that was Aaarrrggh. He thought the cake was real. Or maybe he just likes the taste of paper. Any... word from Claire?" Toby asks,

"No, she's not returning any of my texts,"

"Mine either," I say,

"Well, it's not like I destroyed her house or anything." Jim defends, "Oh, wait. It is." He corrects,

"Dude, you didn't destroy her house. Her fake baby brother did." Toby says,

"Yeah, I'll be sure to mention that."

"Have you thought about it? Telling her, I mean?" Toby asks,

"Telling her baby brother's been swapped for a shape-shifting changeling troll? Because of me? Is there a Hallmark card for that?"

"If there isn't, the should be,"

I chuckle, "I feel like this is something I should definitely be against, but Claire is already very suspicious of you. Maybe it's better if you tell her, rather than her finding out by accident." I point out,

"In the meantime," Toby says, "Ignorance is bliss, and I've got a birthday gift for you that Aaarrrggh cannot eat," I hear Toby groan loudly, "Ugghhh, Aaarrrggh ate the kitty litter again. Gotta go. Warhammer out."

Placing the walkie in my bag, I make my way to Toby's front door. Pulling the spare key I have for Toby's house (Jim and Toby both gave me one in case something happens) I push the door open, making my way through the living room.

"Toby, let's go! It's almost 8:00!" I call,

"Yup! Yup! Yeah, one sec!" He says, running around the corner,

His nana comes up behind me, hovering a bit, "Ooooh, Toby-pie. Is this a lady friend of yours?"

Toby's eyes widen, "She's just a friend, Nana,"

"Are you sure?"

"I'm a bit... too old for Toby," I say as nana gets closer,

"Ooo, so an older lady friend,"

"Alright, Nana! We're really in a rush, see you later! Bye!" He says, grabbing my arms and dragging me out of the house, "Sorry about that," He says, cringing, "Nana can be a bit much sometimes when it comes to me and women,"

"Yeah, I got that,"

Walking to Jim's house, we go through the garage, "Jim! You gotta come quick! There's an emergency in... the place." Toby runs in, trailing off when he sees Jim's mom, "With the thing. Not even an emergency, actually, It's just- Hey! Is that a Food Magic?"

I chuckle awkwardly, rubbing the back of my neck.

"3000. I'll leave you, boys, to it." Jim's mom says, beginning to walk back into the house before retracing her starts, looking to me, "Although... Are you new? I'm sorry, I haven't seen you around before, I'm Barbara, Jim's mom," She introduces herself, holding out her hand with a smile. Her smile was the kind of smile that makes you feel good about yourself, feel safe, taken care of.