Chapter 7 | Goblins

"Jim! You're okay! And big!" Toby yells, bursting into the room, sliding on the floor to Jim.

I laugh, standing in the doorway, "I was honestly expecting your face to be rearranged,"

"I think my spleen switched sides," Jim says, "But everything's better now."

"I'm sorry I failed you, Jim. I should have done it when I had the chance." Toby says, hugging.

Jim holds up a finger, leaning over to reveal the Gnome eating a nugget nummy in the dollhouse. Toby and Jim lay on their stomachs, watching the gnome. The gnome waves at us happily.

"Hey, little guy," I coo, crouching behind them.

"I thought he was attacking me, but, all he wanted was a home. Look! He's even found a friend!"

The gnome starts serenading a space lady action figure with his guitar.

Toby sighs, blissfully, "He has the mind of a vermin but the soul of an artist."

I huff, picking up my cracked phone from the ground, trying to turn it on. It sparks, making me drop it. Toby and Jim turn to look at me and I sigh, "This is on you." I say playfully to the gnome.

They turn back to look at the gnome, "Blinky said we need to 'take care of him'," Jim says, making a throat slicing motion, "but what if we, like, take care of him?"

I brows knit together,

"I know it's not exactly the second rule of Trollhunting. But for this one, maybe we do it in our own way. Without the murdering."

I smile, "Sounds good to me,"

"We can keep him? Jim, I already have a name." Toby says, "Gnome, Chompsky."

"Chompsky? I like it." Jim says, "Pretty good for a first mission," He closes the dollhouse standing up, "Two crises averted. It's not like you get to rehearse these things," He says smugly, before his face drops and he gasps, "Oh, no! Rehearsal!"

"Ugh, come on, seriously?" I roll my eyes, "Go! Go! Hurry," I say, pushing him out the door, he starts running down the street, "Claire's gonna kill you!" I yell,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jim grunts, rolling out of the way to dodge the flames, blocking arrows with his sword.

"Always be afraid." Blinky says, watching Jim run around him, "Fear heightens your senses. Fear keeps you alive."

Jim yells, getting knocked forward to the ground by a rock,

"Arrogance gets you killed," I say, leaning over him.

Jim groans, "Yeah, I'll have to remember that."

"Draal, however, does not fear you." Blinky says, picking Jim up, turning him around, "That will be his weakness, but not you." He puts him back on the ground, nudging him forward. "You'll be wetting your armor. That will be your strength."

I come at Jim with my sword, he yells stumbling back. Making a few more swings at him, this time he blocks them with his sword.

Hoisting myself up, I use Jim's shoulder to swing over him, now coming at him from behind. He spins around quickly, catching my blade. Barrel rolling out of the way to the side, rocks start flying at him.

He blocks each one of them, walking forward towards the machine.

"Oh, yeah. Looking good, Jimbo. Feel the burn!" Toby yells, "If Jim's getting fit, I'm getting fit." He holds up his arm to show a wrist band, beeping "Don't wanna be too big," He tells Aarrrgh while doing jumping jacks, Aarrrgh grunts, looking at his hand, "Not that there's anything wrong with being big!" Toby says quickly, "But if I'm gonna have Jim's back, I gotta be nimble."