Chapter 6 | Small Jim

The clack screeches against the board.

"Little did anyone know. Maria was juggling two hombres. Manolo was muy guapo. But Joaquin had muchos musculos." Her voice faded into the background.

Steve chuckles, holding up a piece of paper to Jim, "You broke my tooth, I'm gonna break your life. When I'm through with you, you're going to wish you were dead." Steve says, balling the paper up, throwing it at Jim's head.

"Hey Steve," I say, tapping his shoulder. He turns around to look at me and I give him a sympathetic look, "Give it up already, Steve. I would hate to see you embarrass yourself yet. again." I smirk.

His face scrunches up in anger.

"And poor Maria had a pedoso heart."

The chalk snaps, making the whole class straighten up, looking to the front.

"What kind of heart did Maria have, miss Wang?" Uhl asks,

"Uh, a heavy heart, pe-do-so, o-or is it-?"

"I would hope Maria wouldn't have a pedoso heart," Uhl says, leaning down next to the girl, "Because that would mean gassy. Did Maria have a gassy heart, miss Wang?"

"Of course not, Senor Uhl!" She cries,

"Uh-buh-bum! You were trying to say pesado, a heavy heart. And it is with a heavy heart Miss Wang, to tell you, you have not shown the slightest comprehension of the basic Spanish. If you can't even finish the exam, I have no chose but to fail you" He says, handing her a tissue.

She runs out the door crying as the school bell rings.

"Mr. Lake, I look forward to seeing your presentation tomorrow."

"Yeah, haha, I'm... ready." Jim says nervously,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Hey, you coming?" Jim asks, getting on his bike.

"Nah, sorry, I gotta meet with Miss Janeth, remember?"

"Ohh, right," Jim says,

"So you'll just have to tell me about your 'gnome adventures," I laugh, "I'll see you guys later, alright?" I say, walking back into the school. 

Entering the theater room, I see Claire sitting with Ms. Janeth.

"Oh! Y/n! I apologize for the mess on the floor," Miss Janeth says, gesturing to the papers all over the floor, "Me and Miss Juliet over here were just discussing some scenes we think you would definitely go over."

My eyes widen as I smile nervously. Claire rubs the back of her neck, looking down.

"O-oh, uh, great!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Ugh, I'm exhausted," I say, throwing my head back as I walk out of school with Claire.

"Yeah, haha, Miss Janeth can be a lot sometimes," Claire chuckles.

We stand outside the school, waiting for our rides. Well, I don't actually have a ride, but I pretend to, to not raise questions.

"Hey, umm," I start, awkwardly, "Don't be, too hard on Jim. Alright? I know he makes a lot of mistakes, but he's a good kid, trying to do his best."

She smiles slightly, before her eyebrows furl, "Wait, aren't you the same age?"

"I- uh, yeah. I just, call him that...cuz." I shrug.