👑 Lalbaugcha Raja 👑

Lalbaugcha Raja (meaning: The King of Lalbaug) is the sarvajanik (public) Ganesha idol kept at Lalbaug, a locality in Mumbai in the Indian state of Maharashtra, during the Ganesh Chaturthi festival. The idol is kept for public display for 11 days; thereafter it is immersed in the Arabian sea at Girgaon Chowpatty on the auspicious day of Anant Chaturthi

It is believed that this idol of Ganesha is Navasacha Ganpati (Marathi: नवसाचा गणपती) (which means the "one who fulfils all wishes") and hence over 1.5 million people visit this Ganesh Pandal daily during the 10-day Ganesha festival.

In 2021, the Lalbaugcha Raja Ganapati entered 89 years.

History:
Lalbaugcha Raja is the popular Ganesh idol of the Lalbaugcha Raja Sarvajanik Ganeshotsav Mandal. The mandal, formerly known as 'Sarvajanik Ganeshotsav Mandal, Lalbaug' was founded in 1934 at Lalbaug Market by fishermen of the Koli community.

The 'mandal' was founded because of a vow (Navas) for construction of the present Lalbaug Market at its existing place. The marketplace at Peru Chawl was shut down in 1932. Hence, the fishermen and vendors who used to sit in the open place vowed to Ganesha for permanent place for their market. With the consistent efforts and support of the then local councillor Kuwarji Jethabhai Shah, Shyamrao Vishnu Bodhe, V. B. Korgaonkar, Ramchandra Tawate, Nakhawa Kokam Mama, Bhausaheb Shinde, U. A. Rao and the local residents, the landlord Rajabai Tayyabali agreed to give a plot for construction of a market. As fulfilment of their wish, the fishermen and traders established the Ganesh idol on 12 September 1934. The idol was dressed in the customary fashion of fishermen. Since that day, this idol of has become popular as it is believed he fulfils the wishes of devotees. The mandal was formed in the era when the freedom struggle was at its peak.

Idol:
The Lalbaugcha Raja Ganapati idol has been organized by the Kambli family for over eight decades. The family have their workshop in a little lane off the main road in Lalbaug, not very far from the pandal.

Lal bagcha raja:
The father of Ratnakar Kambli (the head of the Kambli family) was a sculptor of idols and had roaming exhibitions at festivals across Maharashtra. He began organizing the idol for Lalbaugcha Raja in 1935, when some of his friends recommended his name to the organisers of Lalbaugcha Raja. After his demise in 1952, his eldest son Venkatesh took over and, after his death, Ratnakar Kambli, the current head of the family, started designing the idol.

Kambli Arts makes the parts of the Lalbaugcha Raja idol at its workshop; these are taken to the pandal where they are assembled and painted. Finally, Ratnakar, who is nearly 80 years old, goes to the pandal and draws the eyes. The height is around 18-20 ft.

Arrangements for devotees
In the last few years, a few days before the Ganesh Chaturthi, a Mukh Darshan ceremony (Lalbaugcha Raja's first look and photoshoot which should not be happened was done) is organized by the Lalbaug Sarvajanik Ganeshotsav mandal. This unveiling of Lalbaugcha Raja is covered every year by all national and regional channels.

There are two queues for taking blessings of the Lalbaugcha Raja — Navsachi Line and Mukh Darshanachi Line.

The Navsachi line is for people who want to get their wishes fulfilled. In this line you get to go on the stage, touch the feet of Lalbaugcha Raja, and take his blessings so that your wishes get fulfilled. This line attracts huge public. It takes around 25–30 and sometimes up to 40 hours to get darshan in this line. There are 300–400 employees every year to organize the event.

The second line is meant for Mukh darshan, i.e., to get a glimpse of Lalbaugcha Raja Ganesha idol from some distance without going onto the stage. This line is also popular: It takes around 5–8 hours and sometimes up to 12–14 hours to get darshan in this line, especially on weekends.

These how we celebrate this fastival in Lalbagh . The Lalbaghcha raja is on of the most famous Ido of Ganpati in Maharashtra .