🔱Meaning of some Shri Ganesh Names 🔱

Meaning of some Shri Ganesh Names ;

        Sage Mudgal has written the Ganeshasahastranam containing the thousand Names of Shri Ganapati. The Dwadashanam shloka (Verse) contains the following twelve Names of Shri Ganapati –

प्रथमं वक्रतुण्डं च एकदन्तं द्वितीयकम् ।
तृतीयं कृष्णपिङ्गाक्षं गजवक्त्रं चतुर्थकम् ।।
लम्बोदरं पञ्चमं च षष्ठं विकटमेव च ।
सप्तमं विघ्नराजेन्द्रं धूम्रवर्णं तथाष्टकम् ।।
नवमं भालचन्द्रं च दशमं तु विनायकम् ।
एकादशं गणपतिं द्वादशं तु गजाननम् ।।

Meaning : First Vakratunda, second Ekadanta
Third Krushnapingaksha, fourth Gajavaktra
Fifth is Lambodar, sixth is Vikata
Seventh Vighnarajendra, eighth Dhumravarnam
Ninth Bhalachandra, tenth Vinayak
Eleventh Ganapati, twelfth Gajanan.

        The meanings of these twelve Names and those of some others are given ahead.

1. Vakratunda

        Generally, it is considered that Vakratunda means one with a curved, crooked mouth or trunk; however, this is incorrect. According to the Sanskrut saying ‘वक्रान् तुण्डयति इति वक्रतुण्ड: ।’, ‘Vakratunda is the one who punishes those following a crooked (meaning, unrighteous) path and thereby brings them onto the straight (meaning, righteous) path. Vakratunda is He who straightens the tiryak and visphutit meaning, the crooked Raja-Tama predominant 360 waves through the medium of His trunk and makes them straight, sattvik (Sattva-predominant) like the 108 waves.

2. Ekadanta or Ekashrunga

        Shri Ganapati bears this Name because He has only one unbroken danta (Tusk). Of the two tusks, the right one is whole, while the left one is broken.

A. The right side represents the Suryanadi (Sun channel). As the Suryanadi is radiant, the tusk on this side can never be broken.

B. Ekadanta is symbolic of the one and only Brahman (God Principle).

C. The word ‘dantin’ (दंतीन) is derived from the root ‘dru-darshayati’ (दृ-दर्शयति) (meaning, to show). Thus Ekadanta also means, ‘He who shows the direction that provides the spiritual experience of one and only Brahma.’

D. Medha and shraddha (Faith) are the two tusks. ‘Medha’ means intellect, the ability to comprehend. Medha is the incomplete (broken) tusk and shraddha is the complete one.

3. Krushnapingaksha

        This word is derived from Krushna (कृष्ण) + pinga (पिंग) + aksha (अक्ष). ‘Krushna’ means dark complexion, ‘pinga’ means smoky and ‘aksha’ means the eye. The dark complexion is in the context of earth, while the word smoky refers to the clouds. Thus, Krushnapingaksha is ‘He who has the earth and the clouds as His eyes, meaning, He who can see everything within the earth and the clouds.’

4. Gajavaktra

A. ‘Gaja’ means cloud, and is considered to be the representative of the dyu (द्यु) region – the region of the Deities. ‘Vaktra’ means mouth. Thus, He whose mouth is the dyu region is the Gajavaktra, meaning, one who is enormous. If Om is placed vertically, we get the experience of Gajavadan (or Ganapati).

B. Mudgalpurana explains the meaning of the word ‘gaja’ as ga = the Principle wherein everything undergoes Dissolution and ja = the Principle from which everything originates. Hence, ‘Gaja’ means Brahman.