THE ULTIMATE SACRIFICE

Around 5am on Sunday, Mr William's entire family went to church. Before then, Nkechi, Precious and Promise ate the last garri that remained in the house. Chidi and his parents had nothing to eat with no hope of getting any food unless God intervened. Chidi and Mr William had to carry Nkechi as they trekked to the church. When they arrived, the doors were locked. There were increasing multitudes waiting to rush into the church auditorium once it opened. Some people were already taking choice seats outside as a backup plan, in case they were unable to enter.

"With Nkechi, I don't think that we can make it inside the church," said Mrs Mercy.

"People are inside the church," noted Precious.

"They are the workers of the church! They are getting the place ready for service," said Promise.

"The programme is huge. I'm sure the work is huge also. Probably, if I help out in cleaning, I would be able to secure seats for us," Chidi said.

"They have to let you in first. All these people waiting, don't you think they won't also mind cleaning if that would help them enter?" Mrs Mercy asked.

"Let me try first," said Chidi.

Chidi went round the church. He looked for a place he could enter from, apart from the known entrance, but he did not find. However, he saw some young men setting up the projector, screen and speakers and offered to help out. They appreciated his help. He got an opportunity to enter the auditorium when he was asked to get some things from inside. In the auditorium, the chairs were stacked as some people were mopping. Some people ran some errands. The altar and the choir stand were already cleaned and some people tested the microphones and checked the connections while the choir rehearsed. Some people knelt and interceded for the service. Others changed the decorations. Chidi knew that he could not get seats inside yet. When he came out, he asked the members of the technical unit that were setting up outside for permission to meet his family.

"Please, I want to let my family know where I am so that they don't look for me," he said.

"How many are you people?" asked Lawrence, the one in charge of set-up.

"We are six, my father, mother, three siblings and I; and one of my sisters is very ill," he replied.

"Okay. You can go. Thanks for your help," Lawrence said.

When Chidi met his family, he let them know that he had entered but the seats were not arranged yet since cleaning was still on-going.

"Maybe, we might just have to stay outside today," he said. "Let me go and re-join the technical group. The work is really much and it is almost time."

"What is the use? It's not like you will be able to get us inside," Mr William asked.

"Love sacrifice," Chidi replied.

Just then, Mr William knew the greatest sacrifice that he could give to God since he did not have anything of worth to give. But it would take the greatest courage to let go.

"Is every member of the church a worker? Pastor Francis said there were less than 30 members and I feel like more than 30 people are working, plus those that are with the Pastors," Chidi asked Lawrence.

"You are right. All the members are workers, at least, for the success of the programme. However, it is not every worker that is a member of this church, like you - it is obvious that this is not your home church, and me; I am actually a member of Pastor Justice's church. Some of us came over to help organize the programme," Lawrence explained.

"Oh, okay," Chidi said.

Fifteen minutes to the time, every unit had concluded their duties and the doors were opened. As expected, everyone rushed in to get seats inside and in less than five minutes, the auditorium was filled to the brim. The overflow outside looked as if every single person in the town had come for the programme. Churches were shut down as even the pastors wanted to listen to Pastor Justice's sermon. The roads were closed down and yet people were still coming in their numbers.