[EDMUND PEVENSIE DRABBLE]

Based on Somewhere Only We Know by Keane:

This could be the end of everything / So why don't we go / Somewhere only we know?

Warnings: angst

Word count: 433

Edmund had told it to you last night - he would be going away. He would leave from Narnia, his time was finally up. He would be too old to come back.

You met him as he and his siblings walked in the ruins of Cair Paravel, not believing what you saw at first. You had seen paintings of them, but they had disappeared a long time ago, probably even died. And now they were teenagers again, returning like nothing had happened. They helped you defeat the Telmarines, and you and Edmund grew to be very close - and then they left. Edmund left you with a kiss on your cheek as he closed a strange, shiny trinket in your hand, saying that's something you'd remember him by.

You didn't believe you'd see him ever again, but life had other plans for you. You remembered seeing him as Caspian had lifted him, Lucy and their then-bratty cousin to the ship and while Eustace had run from one side of the ship to another and demanded to know where he was and wanted to go home, you and Edmund stared at each other. Then you ran for Edmund's embrace, muttering how you had missed him against his ear. You had missed feeling his touch, and when you pulled away, you grabbed his face in between your hands, inspecting him up and down. Eustace fainted after seeing a minotaur and the whole crew laughed at him, but you barely knew what happened around you.

He had grown up, and so had you. And you had had each other again. But now he had to leave Narnia again, leave you again. So you two went to a forest glade you had found a few weeks ago, you had danced there under a blanket of stars, just the two of you. And now you were there again to dance, one last time. You knew you probably wouldn't see Edmund ever again, but at least you could cherish this moment, take in everything you could about him.

The morning came too soon, and Edmund told you he has to go. You looked at him, your hand was refusing to let go of his. It would be too painful to watch him leave again, knowing that this time he wouldn't come back.

"Even when you cry, your face reminds me of home." he told you and scoffed while his own eyes glistened too. "Oh, that was cheesy."

You choked up a chuckle and buried your face to Edmund's shoulder, finally letting go of his hand.

"Live well, my prince."