5. First Day Back

I groaned as I walked into the cafeteria, apparently Alice managed to get Carlisle to call us in late so that Jasper and I could catch up and I was grateful. But now it drew attention to our family. Bella was already curious as it was, I could feel it intensify as I came in late with Jasper. 

I smiled a tight lipped smile at Edward who looked at me worriedly. Rosalie was also worried but I brushed it off. No need to concern everyone. Alice was acting like nothing was wrong, god bless her, and Emmett hasn't noticed anything wrong yet. I sat down next to Edward and after Jasper sat down I threw myself back into him. He chuckled and wrapped an arm around me as Alice giggled. 

"So. This may have drawn attention to our family." I chirped, I could hear the thoughts and they were not really kind. Mainly about me though. Edward knew I could hear these, that's why he was worried. Oh. 

"No shit." Rosalie muttered and I grimaced. It's okay though. You and Jasper are almost as inseparable as you and Edward. She thought towards me and I smiled happily at her. 

Can you read Isabella Swan's mind? I heard from Edward, I merely search for her mind and my eyes widened in realization happily. 

I can! I can! But.. Edward can you hear mine? I asked him as he looked at me worriedly. 

"Ruth... I can't hear your mind." Edward murmured and everyone looked at us worriedly. I stopped reading Bella's mind and Edward looked in surprise. "I can again." I felt my eyes widened as I looked over to Bella Swan. 

"That's.... weird." I sighed and shook if off, but I knew the family wouldn't. I closed my eyes as Jasper rubbed my arm, no need to worry at the moment. I thought about my time in Alaska, Kate really kept knocking me on my ass.

Rue, why's Edward trying not to laugh? Alice asked me and I flew leg out and kicked Edward, I had to make it appear human so it wasn't as hard as I wanted it too. Edward groaned as I opened my eyes, he was faintly glaring at me. 

Don't laugh at me then. If I remember right, you got knocked on your ass a couple hundred times after meeting her! I snarled at him and he glared at me. 

Enough you two! No fighting in school! Alice shouted and I leaned back into Jasper, grumbling under my breath as I looked out the window. I sighed and watched the trees carefully. There have been human drinkers nearby so I was watching the school in case they appeared. 

The bell rang and we all stood up and left quickly, we didn't want to get stuck with the human's. I'm the only one who could get the others under control and all of them are practically stronger then me. We split ways and Edward headed to Biology and I went to Art with Alice. 

"Do you think anything bad will happen today?" I asked Alice, I really didn't want to move yet and I knew that if something bad happened we'd have to move. Alice became distant as she searched through the future, flashes of a car accident kept appearing. That isn't too good. 

"25% of a car accident, 75% we're safe." Alice responded and I nodded in reply. I watched the teacher walk in and I had a feeling that today was going to get worse. We had a sub. I looked at Alice exasperated and she grimaced. 

I didn't see this happening! Alice was mentally berating herself, her hand on her forehead as if she had a headache. I grabbed her other hand and rubbed the back of it gently. He squeezed my hand as the teacher called attendance. 

"Alice Cullen?" He asked, but she had spaced out. "Is Alice Cullen here?" He asked again. 

"Yes sir, she is." I spoke up. He looked over and I nudged Alice again, but she wasn't coming out of it. "Alice, hey." I whispered to her, shaking her gently. It took a minute but she snapped out of it and looked at me curiously. I looked to the front and she faced forward, if she could blush I think she would be.

"Alice Cullen, it would do you well to pay attention in class. Now, is Hazel Cullen in class?" He asked. I rose my hand slightly. 

"I'm here. But it's Hazel-Ruth." I corrected him. He glared at me and I shrunk in on myself. Even as a vampire I was self-conscious and aware of those around me. 

"Okay. Everyone's here. Let's begin today's lesson." He smiled warmly at the other students, but glared at Alice and I. I was uncomfortable. He felt like a threat. He is a threat. 

Edward? I can't tell if I'm in your range... But I think Alice and I's art teacher is a threat. I thought out to him. I got no response and I sighed. I was uncomfortable here. I paid attention and turned in any work we were given. So when the bell rang I jumped out of my seat with Alice and we sped walked out of the classroom. A bit faster then we wanted but it worked out for us. 

Alice and I left the school and got into Emmett's jeep to calm down. 

"What was he?" I asked quietly. 

"I don't know." Alice responded, she was upset by that. But I knew that she was just worrying. I curled up with Alice in the car as we waited for school to end. I didn't want to be here now. I felt unsafe. I felt uncomfortable. And the only person to know is Alice, who won't say anything because Rosalie would leave the coven if we had to move.

I didn't want my family to split apart, so I would keep quiet too, I would not say or think of the man. Nothing will split my family apart. I'll make sure of this. I'll make sure it doesn't happen. No matter what.