Chapter 18: false alarm

"Ow" i yelped suddenly as a wave of pain surged through my lower abdomen in the area where the baby was.
________________________________

Addisons POV:
I shot up from my pillow and clutched my stomach tightly. I couldn't explain it but i could feel this immense fear wash over me. A fear only a mother could understand. I knew that I was a neonatal surgeon but when it's you in that situation you seem to forget everything.

"Hey" Meredith said opening her eyes beside me. "What's wrong?" She asked.
"I just had a sharp pain in my abdomen" I said turning to her.
"Omg are you ok?" She panicked. "We should go to the hospital" she said sitting up properly.

"Yeah ok" i said getting out of bed slowly.

After about half an hour we were both ready. I grabbed my bag and Meredith got her umbrella, because as usual it was raining in seattle. "You ready?" She called.

"Yeah" i replied sounding nervous.

"You'll be ok" she whispered kissing my cheek.

We drove a little faster than the speed limit until we reached the hospital car park. I got out first and Meredith followed behind me.

She shuffled me through the doors and straight past Bailey until we reached the OB wing.

"Carina" She called out to the Italian woman in her pink scrubs.

"Mer, hey" she replied approaching us.

"It's Addie she felt something about an hour ago, something painful." Mer began to panic so I squeezed her hand tightly to calm her down.

"Ok let's take a look"

We both entered the room hastily. I had so much experience in this field yet I felt so helpless. I should have known what abdominal pain early in pregnancy could mean. I did. But I didn't think.

I also didn't want to tell Derek. I wanted this Baby to be mine, mine and Merediths. Not his.

I lay down gently on the bed as carina squeezed the cool gel on my stomach. I'd put this gel on other people hundreds of times but barely ever on myself so I hadn't anticipated how cold it was.

She pressed the stick on my belly and moved it around. I couldn't help but skip to the negative. Nothing good happened to me. Why should it now?

"Relax baby" Meredith whispered in my ear.
Her breath was warm and soothing as it ticked my lobe slightly.

I breathed slowly allowing air to refill my lungs.

"You're all good" Carina said after a few minutes.

"What"

"You and the baby are fine. It was simply a cramp" she smiled. Bags forming under her eyes. It was 4am after all.

"Oh thank god" I gasped clutching Mer's wrist.

My chest looses and my mind became clear. I had to check the ultrasound myself just to be sure but I saw the same as doctor Deluca. Simply fine.

"Thank you C, I'm sorry for wasting your time" I said smiling tiredly.

"It's fine, it's my job Addie" she laughed touching my arm.

My eyes darted over to Meredith who was watching more closely.

MEREDITHS POV:

my eyes fell on carinas fingers on Addies arm. I thought only I called her Addie. Since when were her and Carina such good friends.

I decided to brush it off as I was tired and knew Addie wanted to go home.

"See you tomorrow" Carina smiled before heading to the on call room. "I'm gonna sleep now."

Addie and I walked down to the lobby and were greeted by a half asleep Richard.

"Hey you two" He said acknowledging our presence.

"Hey, long night?" I asked

"You could say that, what are you doing here you're off" he asked confused.

"Yeah Addie had a pregnancy scare but we're all good." I said almost ushering her to the door. I didn't have time to talk.

"Oh I'm glad, night lovebirds" he joked.

"Richard" Addie rolled her eyes nudging his arm.

We left both half asleep before getting In the car and heading back. Before we drove I bent down to Addies belly and kissed it. Just to let her know that I was here for her and the baby.
I loved her so much. More than I ever thought possible.

Once the car pulled up on the drive way i lent over and kissed her. Her lips were soft and she kissed me back almost immediately.
She pulled away and looked at me.

"What was that for" she smiled, the pink rising in her cheeks.

"I love you" i said softly, my finger caressing her palm.

"I love you to darling"

HEY GUYS I KNOW THIS CHAPTER IS SHORT I HAD NO IDEA WHAT TO WRITE. I STARTED COLLEGE AND HAD A BUSY SUMMER SO FORGOT TO WRITE BUT HERE YOU GO. Thank you all for your support <3