Chapter eight

Yuto stayed particularly close to me from then onward. I didn't mind, of course. His aura of innocence and the sweet warmth in his gentle touch didn't bother me at all. In fact, I was really glad to have him around. Growing up, I wasn't allowed to have a dog, even though I'd always wanted one, so this was a great way to make up for it. I'd smile at him and pet him, and he'd smile back, wagging his tail.
Sora seemed to keep his distance, but he was always looking at us.
The most I did from there was receive putrid orders from "Lord Sora," which mainly involved bringing things to him or cleaning something up for him.
I noticed he was really "breaking me in" by not really ordering Yuto to do anything.
Even so, Yuto was sweet and kind to me, so I didn't really mind doing things in his stead.
Sora, on the other hand, was getting on my nerves. Treating me like some servant...
Or "familiar." Which is like a PET servant. Not to mention he still refused to call me by my name!
"Cocoa," he called for me from the kitchen. "Come here."
Dragging my feet, angry about yet another order, I shuffled into the kitchen, looking up at him with an unamused expression.
"What." I answered flatly.
"Make dinner."
Dinner?
Wow, so I'd already been here for a full day...
Time goes by fast...
Not to mention I was doing ridiculous tasks through most of it.
I blinked at him. "... D... Dinner?"
God, please no. Of all things.
Me? Cook?
HA!
Don't make me laugh!
Sora flicked his tail behind him, staring at me with that blank, unchanging face of his. "Yes." His ear twitched as he looked me over. "Is that a problem?"
I looked down at the floor, gripping the hem of my skirt. "Well... Um... It's just that... I..."
I couldn't finish my sentence. How embarrassing... Even if it was only Sora, who I didn't really care to impress, this was too much...
It sucked how easily embarrassed I was..
Sora tilted his head. "Cocoa?"
"AYANO."
I was letting it get to my head too much...
I let out a sigh, taking in cleansing breaths. Calm yourself, Ayano...
I looked up into Sora's face. He was still looking at me like I was some odd new creature he'd just discovered.
"... I... Can't... Cook..." I mumbled. Sora's ears perked up, and I knew he'd heard me. "You can't?" He repeated blandly. "Why is it that doesn't surprise me?"
I growled, looking up to glare at him, my cheeks starting to burn. "Hey!! Shut up...!"
Sora closed his eyes, looking irritated, and let out a sigh. "Very well. I'll just have to teach you myself."
I blinked as his words hit me. "Teach me...?"

"But of course; I can't have Yuto do it forever, and IM not going to do it in your stead, so get over here."

I pouted a bit, insulted, but followed him towards the oven. It wouldn't be such a bad idea to learn how to cook... That was a pretty useful skill.
Maybe this was a good idea after all...
Sora stood before the oven and turned to face me. "We're just going to make sashimi. Think you can handle that?"
I gave him an insulted look, but nodded.
Looking as blank as ever, Sora brought out a few pounds of the cold fish meat. I bit my lip. I was so going to screw this up.. Just like I always did.
Sora got out a big cutting knife and held it out to me. "Here."
I blinked a bit, staring at the knife. "What are you waiting for? Just take it."
I swallowed the lump in my throat and shakily took the knife from him; it was heavier than it looked...
"Now," Sora started. "Trim it into a one to two-inch wide by a half to one-inch high fillet, about an inch thick I'd say. And make sure to cut out any bad parts."
The knife hovering over the meat, and I blinked several times. "Uhhhh..."
Sora groaned in exasperation and came over to me. "Good grief," he grumbled. "I'll show you."

"Show mー? OH...!"

I felt my face grow hot when I felt his chest against my back as he wrapped his hand over mine on the handle of the knife. Sora didn't seem to be affected, but I sure was...!
Dammit, he was warm...!
Wait, why was I getting so worked up...??
This is Sora we're talking about...!
He tightened his hand over mine and brought the knife to the meat, using my hand to cut it as I tried to hide my blush, doing everything in my power to remain as composed as humanly possible.
Still, I watched carefully as he showed me the proper way to cut it, so that this wouldn't have to happen ever again.
After a few even cuts he turned me loose and leaned against the counter to observe. "Alright. You try."
My mouth was dry but I tried to swallow, nodding once as I tried to continue.
With an unsteady hand, I began to cut into the meat. It wasn't as difficult as I'd thought, but it was rather intimidating to have Sora watching my every move...
Wait...
Why did I care exactly...?
He groaned in exasperation. "No no no, bad Cocoa."

"Ayano."

He came back over to me and wrapped his hand over mine.
Man, it was warm...
"Like this."
He puppeted the motions again with my hand before making me do it once more.
"Look, I'm sorry," I growled. "But it's kind of difficult with you BREATHING DOWN MY NECK."
He rolled his eyes. "Just do it."
I growled under my breath, but obeyed.

Before long, Sora had coached me through the whole process, and together we'd successfully made a plate of sashimi.
I let out a breath.
Thank goodness that was over...
Sora looked at me boredly, and said something surprising. "Not bad, Ayano."
My eyes widened.
My name...
He actually called me by my name...
Why did that make me feel so happy...?