Chapter thirty nine

This was too much for me to handle... I couldn't take it... There was just so much that I didn't understand...
Surprisingly, Sora left me alone. He didn't come in after me, or tell me to come out. He was silent. I didn't hear a thing from him, or Yuto. I was alone with my thoughts.
I couldn't decide if that was a good thing or not. And undoubtably, should Sora even come close to the bathroom, he'd poke in my thoughts. I knew he would... But I convinced myself that it would only be because he was worried about me. He was a blunt, and impatient man. I felt sure it was taking a lot for him to leave me be.
I wondered if I'd made him worry...
I knew it wasn't his fault. He just wanted to keep me safe... And he'd gone to such great lengths to do so. I remembered how beaten he'd looked, how it'd been all my fault and I shuddered. Being like this was disrespectful to all that he'd done for me...
Would he regret it...?
I couldn't be like this... Sora was my friend. Wasn't he?
Even so...
My next thought was how on earth I would manage to face him again. I had so much weighing on my mind... And Sora seemed to hate it when I was lost in thought. Maybe it was because he could hear it and yet couldn't do a thing about it.
Surely, that would be an agonizing thing, wouldn't it...
I bit my lip and stared at the bathroom door, contemplating coming out. I felt too ashamed to show my face...
I'd yelled at him.
Everything was all jumbled up in my head..
I had to go... I had to get out. I couldn't be alone with my thoughts any longer.
I hardly had time to even consider reaching for the handle when there was a very gentle, faint knock on the door.
"....ayano...?" I was surprised to hear Yuto's soft voice through the door. "I don't want to rush you or anything, but... Sora looks like he's ready to pull his hair out...."
A slight crooked smile reached my lips. Poor baby. Can't handle staying out of it.
Alright... I wouldn't put him through that any longer.
Holding my breath, I hesitantly turned the knob and opened the door a crack, peeking out. From the crack of the door, I could see Yuto standing worriedly by the door, looking back at me, and way in the distance on the other side of the room was Sora, curled up in an awkward ball on the floor, hugging his knees, staring at the wall.
I snorted a bit before creeping out of the bathroom to go towards him. I'd tortured him long enough...
Staying silent, I crept all the way over to his spot on the floor, sitting next to him. I seemed to jolt him out of some sort of trance when I actually touched him, resting my hand on his head.
"There, there," I teased. "It'll be alright, big guy."
Blinking a bit, he turned to face me, seemingly a bit shocked to see me out.
"... You're out."

"I am. Surprised?"
I kept my voice lighthearted, hoping to show that I had no ill will. Sora looked me up and down and half smiled. "You came out sooner than I expected."
I laughed a little. "I'll pretend I didn't hear that."
He smiled at me gently and paused. "... You okay?" He asked, raising a hand to ruffle my hair. I exhaled. "Yeah, I guess. I'm alright."
He eyed me carefully.
"... What made you come out?"

"... You looked ready to jump off a cliff."

He made a face. "I was just...... Worried. That's all."

"Uh huh."

I laughed lightly. "... Sorry, then."

"... Me, too."

".... Want lunch?"

"Yeah, sure."