3

Delphinium kept her face angled to the floor as the armored vehicle sped them further from the IMC facility

Delphinium kept her face angled to the floor as the armored vehicle sped them further from the IMC facility. She was ramrod straight against the soldiers sitting on either side. There were six in all, each of them armed and wearing uniforms of the IMC's black and green; they wore colors of their own to avoid showing allegiance to a particular nation.

Looking down at herself, Delphinium took in their colors now on her own body. The military-style uniform-black, aside from the subtle IMC logo sewn at her left breast-was made of flexible fabric suitable for combat.

Delphinium's eyes stayed on the soldiers' booted feet beside her own. Though they outnumbered her, she wondered whether she could overpower them given the right opportunity. During the ambush, she had been severely underprepared. She would not make the same foolish mistake again.

The vehicle made a sharp turn. Delphinium questioned where they were; most cities in Rienga were packed close enough to solely use public transportation, so most streets were meant for that, not personal vehicles.

Finally, they slowed to a stop. The soldier on the right instinctively slapped a hand to Delphinium's shoulder. Admittedly, she did debate running for it. But she wouldn't risk becoming too large a liability until she was confident she would make a successful escape. For now, she had no information and no allies.

Not that she had any in Laguna, either. Even if she wished to return, not much awaited her there.

Once she was unchained, Delphinium was led from the vehicle by several pairs of careful hands. It was night outside. As the rest of the soldiers spilled out, she eyed the brightly-lit building before her, the perfect grass it sat on. Its angular, undecorated architecture gave her no indication to their location.

She cared more about the thick fence that seemed to wind around the entire property, boxed in by tall trees that stood tall like pointed bullets. There was razor wire spiraling the fence's top. Which was the more frightening reason-to keep enemies out or to ensure she stayed in?

Delphinium was pushed toward the arched entrance. She took one last glance at the fence. It was taller than the one at her grandmother's house, tall enough to make her hesitant. If she couldn't climb it, she could certainly bring it down.

Under the soldiers' verification, the steel doors clicked open. Delphinium saw how thick they were as she passed through the threshold. Like the doors of a prison. She had to remind herself not to flinch as they boomed shut at her turned back.

Upon the first glanced Delphinium saw the place was furnished somewhat freely, though that hardly softened the ridged exterior. Although the living space was acceptable with its stocked bookshelves of old volumes and busts of historical figures, it was not inviting. It was as impersonal as a hotel lobby and as sterile as a museum.

She searched for cameras. There were none to be found, but that didn't mean there weren't any. The IMC could be watching even at that very moment.

They went through the lower level of the compound to a series of floor-to-ceiling windows, which revealed that the rest of the estate was obscured by darkness. It was impossible to tell how far its borders reached. When she wouldn't immediately move through the open back door, one of the soldiers gave her a firm but gentle shove forward. A recoil went through Delphinium's body at the unexpected contact.