48

Sloane stood there with slitted eyes as he tried to decipher whether he heard Jake correctly

Sloane stood there with slitted eyes as he tried to decipher whether he heard Jake correctly. "We don't make deals with enemies or traitors. And you're both."

"I don't have to be anything. Not as long as I have something you won't be able to refuse."

There was a pause. Delphinium could see Sloane fighting his interest. "Try me."

"You want Corinthian to fall. So do I."

Sloane crossed his arms. "True..." he drew out, unsure of where Jake was going to take this. But Delphinium was starting to understand, and it thankfully did not involve her.

"Our combined manpower against Corinthian would be a force to reckon with."

At that, the Crimson lieutenant fell into peals of laughter. "You're just as much of a nutcase as they say. And your desire for vengeance blinds you." Taking in Jake's stone-facedness, he sobered, brushing hair off his forehead. "We've been trying to hold off the bastard for months. He's much too widespread to overpower. You should know that by now, boy."

"Condescend to me again and I'll hand you over to Corinthian instead," Jake snapped, then moved on. "I know where his compound is, the place he keeps his trafficked goods. He's regrouping, ready to attack me. But the one thing he won't expect is for me to storm their home allied with your forces."

"For every truth you tell, two more lies fall from your tongue. How do I know your information is good?"

"There's no way of knowing, is there?"

In the span of a second, Sloane's patience thinned. "I didn't come all the way here to let you manipulate me. If this is just another one of your twisted-"

Jake cocked his head, giving the Crimsons that blank stare, which Delphinium thought he'd be better off masking if he wanted Sloane to think he was sane. "What would I have to gain from that? I don't want your shit gang. I want Corinthian's."

Thankfully, the Crimsons let the insult slide. "Even if I did accept, Benedikt wouldn't allow it. The conflict with Corinthian has taken its toll." Delphinium noticed how he offered the weakness so readily. He still underestimated Jake. "Complicating things with you will only make matters worse."

"Your leader is lazy," Jake deadpanned. "The old man isn't even here tonight. It makes the rest of you appear inadequate. Joining me in one last battle against Corinthian is the smartest move he could make."

Such bold statements made the gangsters' scowls harden. Seeing he was losing them, Jake pulled something from his pocket. "Greed is Benedikt's pitfall. Give this to him to cover his costs and assuage his mind." He tossed a wad of money over, large enough to make Delphinium question where he'd gotten it.

"This is nothing but a bribe." Still, the lieutenant flipped through the silver bills.

"Call it whatever you like. A lifeline. Salvation. You are in no position to refuse me. Your men are slowly being choked out by the Needles. This is your last hope before you can no longer retaliate and he grinds your bones to dust."