24

She returned to Corinthian an hour before sunrise, allowing him no reason to track her down

The three gunmen flanking her upon her arrival didn't dare touch her now. It was as if they remembered who she was. For all they knew, Delphinium had completed her mission perfectly, and had even done it before the time limit.

Delphinium's hands were full. There was a bag with Afolayan's heart inside to prove she was dead and a finger to verify her identity. In the other was a single folder. Corinthian wouldn't be able to tell the difference without inspection, but she knew the papers held no real significance. They were just a pile of random papers Delphinium uncovered in Afolayan's desk.

She wondered what was within the papers that rival assassin stole. Perhaps it was better she remained in the dark; she was already mixed into this mess more than was safe.

Several Needles paused in their work handling unmarked boxes to watch her pass. Their eyes stuck on the bloodstained bag. Delphinium kept her brows low and spine straight, asserting herself as the largest danger in the room. Never mind that she still tasted bile thinking about the soft slide of flesh as she pried her victim's heart out of her ribcage like a pearl from a clam.

Delphinium imagined another reality in which she cut out Corinthian's cruel heart for making her do such a thing. For leaving that lived-in house empty. For making Gigi an orphan.

At movement in a back corner, Delphinium peered through several empty racks to see a cluster of Needles beating Jake as they'd beaten her. Only worse. Blood pooled on the floor from shivs clutched in eager hands.

That was not the part that caused her concern. Disturbingly, Jake seemed to be reveling in it. He made no sound through each torturous strike, yet his leering look remained. It wasn't exactly a smile. But it was still far from any sane reaction. Delphinium always knew there was something deeply wrong with him, but she hadn't expected his pride would allow him to be beaten half-dead like this and enjoy it.

The gangsters guided Delphinium into Corinthian's office. Inside, he looked up from his paperwork, bored. Tossing the folder and the bloody bag down, she watched him inspect them for tricks. Even as she physically felt the guns' barrels on her, she showed no fear. The Needles still allowed her a wide berth. Hopefully it would be enough.

Delphinium had merely formulated the thought of stepping forward to force the bag over Corinthian's head and create a hostage situation when the crime lord stood abruptly from his desk. It was now or never.

She advanced. Quicker than anything, Corinthian threw something into her face. Delphinium let out a muted scream, clawing at the fiery sensation in her eyes. Pepper spray.

He'd immobilized her power. He'd been ready for her. Delphinium's molars gritted together, willing the burning to subside. Needles seized her at every angle, but she barely noticed over the fire spreading from her eyes to her skin to her lungs. Her body racked with dry, wheezing coughs so violent her chest might be torn to shreds.