55

"I need to go there

"I need to go there." Fear stabbed through her skin. "Immediately."

"Delphinium." For the first time, Hunt sounded...pitying.

"You know what used to be there."

His composed calm made her feel maniacal in comparison. "You know as well as I do that they are no more. You made sure of that yourself. Several world powers, the IMC being one of them, investigated the site for months."

Jaxon muttered, "I hate being left out of shit."

"We can never be too cautious," Delphinium reminded the Director. "And you have to admit that it's suspicious."

Hunt simply looked up at her. "I understand why you act the way you do. After your trauma, it's natural to fear such things repeating. But take your mental state into account: you have a history of being overly paranoid, often violently so. This likely means nothing."

"I know." She was too small under the bright lights, her voice too unsure. "I know. But I need to be sure."

"With Corinthian's masked associate out there, having you remain here is our first priority."

"I know," Delphinium repeated, too shaken to care that this would damage the reputation she carefully constructed for the others. "I just-please. I just need to be sure."

The Director was quiet for a long time. She drew a breath knowing if he didn't let her go, she would never find sleep again.

"The Kybeshi government has taken over the ruins," he said, looking her in the eye. "Be prepared to see activity there. There will be a jet and a team of my men awaiting your arrival. Once on the ground, you have nine hours."

When words failed her, Delphinium gave a nod of gratitude. For having allowed this against his wishes, her respect for him grew.

"What if the masked assassin is there and she can't sense him without my power?" Arlo asked, perfectly innocent.

"Wasn't it you who said we're strongest together?" Rainey jabbed a long nail at Hunt. "Anyway, what's the difference if that psycho only has her or all of us? Being kept under lock by your goons sounds like a similar cage."

The picture of skepticism, Delphinium turned to eye them. "Why would you want to come?"

"There might be a fight," Jaxon said, as if that was a valid answer.

"If there's a chance these mystery people wanted to purchase us, don't you think we deserve to be sure?" Rainey asked, eyes flashing. "I'd rather be sold than kept here amongst men who want us to remain in the dark. For all we know, you could want us here for some sick experimentation."

The ends of Arlo's mouth pulled down. "I don't want to be experimented on," he said, looking accusingly at Hunt.

Hunt pinched the bridge of his nose. "Contrary to our enemies' motives, the IMC does not have you here for experimentation-"