Chapter 1

Hey all! New project coming. This is the first of what may or may not be a series of pjo and marvel crossovers. Thank you all for reading!
-Abby

The rain lashed the windows outside as Julius Kane shrugged his dripping coat off. He stood in the doorway for a moment, unsure where to hang it, then folded it over his arm. His mother-in-law and father-in-law didn't invite him any further, nor did he expect them to. They blamed him.

His father-in-law cleared his throat. "You have her?"

Julius nodded to the woman behind him who opened her coat and handed the bundle to Julius, pulling back her hood as she did so.

His mother-in-law gasped and stepped back. "That's- you're-"

"Bast, goddess of cats," the woman said, curling her lips around her pointed teeth. "So they do know something," she murmured to Julius. But Julius was too focused on the bundle he held. Her little fist grasped his finger, and she cooed. Reluctantly, he drew his eyes from her.

"Here she is, as promised. This is for Ruby, okay? After this we're done. For good," Julius said, ignoring the pang he felt whoever he said his wife's name.

"Of course," his father-in-law said. "This is the last we ever want to see you. You already took and corrupted one of our grandchildren, it's up to us to save the other."

The venom in his voice was unmistakable and Julius clenched his jaw. They didn't know what Julius was, not really. They didn't know he could rip them to shreds if he wanted, and take his daughter back. But as usual, Ruby held him back. They were right, her death was his fault. This was the compensation.

His mother-in-law held her arms out expectantly, standing as close to Julius as she dared.

Julius bounced his daughter in his arms, then leaned down to kiss her forehead. "Goodbye, my Sadie," he whispered. "Be brave." She cooed once more and blinked her blue eyes up at him. Just like Ruby's.

Julius set the baby in his mother-in-law's arms and stepped back. "Listen," he said, fighting the lump in his throat, "you can't ever tell her who she is, okay? It's the only way she'll be safe."

His father-in-law nodded. "Of course not. She'll live a normal life here."

Julius swallowed. "Then it's time for us to leave."

He glanced up at Bast, who blinked slowly. "Indeed," she said. "Lovely to meet you two."

His daughter's grandparents stood together in the light of the dining room, looking down at his daughter. It was the last image he had before he shut their door, locking him and Bast out on the concrete steps.

"It was for the best," Bast said, hunching her shoulder against the rain.

"Maybe. But I hate them for this."

"You have to let her go. Focus on your son."

Julius smiled faintly. "Carter will be the next ruler. But I wish he could've met his sister."

"He can't want what he doesn't know about," Bast said. "Now can we get out of here? I'm soaked."

Julius shook his head. "Actually, Bast, I was hoping you could stick around here."

The goddess screwed her eyes up. "You're kidding."

"I just- I have to know she's okay. You're the only one I trust to keep an eye on her. And," he said, sensing the argument, "you owe me."

Bast glanced down at the concrete. It was rare the cat goddess displayed any emotion, especially guilt, but Julius knew she blamed herself for Ruby's death as much as she did. He felt a little bad exploiting it, but this was for his daughter.

"Fine," Bast said. "How's this?" She closed her eyes and in a poof of smoke, vanished. In her place was an orange cat.

Julius knelt and flipped over the name tag around it's throat. "Muffin?"

The cat cocked its head and blinked.

"Wonderful," Julius muttered. "Now please turn back."

The cat vanished and Bast cracked her neck, full height again. "I always like doing that."

"I bet you do. Thank you, Bast. Keep me updated."

Bast snorted. "What do you want, pictures?"

"A yearly report maybe?"

"I can do that."

The silver stretched between them. "Bast..."

"I know." Bast awkwardly put her hand on his shoulder. "I'll keep your daughter safe." Her pupils contracted in her amber eyes, and Julius felt a ridiculous urge to pat her head. Then she turned back into her cat form and trotted across the street, her orange tail lashing.

Julius took one last look up at his daughter's new house, his wife's old one. "Goodbye, Sadie," he whispered. Then he turned and walked back into the London rain.