Chapter 3

The water was up to the middle of Carter's shins as the sun hit the back of neck. Delegations from each tribe stood on the cliff side above him, their eyes boring into him and their colorful outfits mesmerizing.

"It's almost time," Bast said, materializing behind him. Bast oversaw the spiritual connection of the Black Panther, the guardian of the title. For the ceremony she wore purple and red, her gold bracelets jangling at her wrists and encircling her biceps. "You nervous?"

Carter glanced up at the gathering, Zia and Walt stood with his uncle, who nodded encouragingly. "Not especially. I've been preparing for this my whole life."

Bast raised her eyebrows. "So I'm told." She turned away from Carter and held her hands up to the onlookers.

Gradually, they stopped talking. The silence dragged, each second seemed heavier than the last. Then Bast lowered her hands and the chanting started, a deep hum energizing the air and soft vibrations that set Carter's teeth on edge.

Then Bast held up her hands for silence. "Thank you all for coming today, the day we pass the throne of Julius Kane on to his son, Carter Kane. That is, if there are no challenges to the throne." Bast looked pointedly around at the cliff side, waiting to see if a challenge would come forth. Carter didn't expect there to be, as far he knew everyone was mostly happy with his father's rule.

"If there are no challengers," Bast said, "then-"

"Wait!" a voice called. Stepping out from the shadows was a man dressed in green. Carter recognized him vaguely as the leader of one of the western tribes. "I would like to issue a challenge for the throne," the man said. "Your bloodline has been in power too long. Think of what we could do if we were to expand our borders!" Kwai, Carter remembered. His tribe tended to keep to themselves, only showing up for mandatory gatherings. "For those reasons," Kwai said, "I issue a challenge for the throne."

A sea of murmurs spread through the onlookers. It had been years since a challenge to the throne was issued.

"Very well, Kwai of the west," Bast said. "Come forth."

Kwai stepped forward, removing his green cloak as he did so, vibrant tattoos swirling across his bare chest. Carter was also bare-chested, his body painted for the ceremony.

"You know rules," Bast said as the Dora Milage handed Kwai his blade and shield. "This fight is to the death, or until one of you yields." She turned to Carter. "And now I must take the strength of the Black Panther away." She held a flask to Carter's lips and he drank, cringing at the bitter taste.

It was like fire. Carter immediately fell to his knees as it worked its way through his blood stream, ripping away his strength layer by layer. With a final shudder, it was over, leaving Carter weak and shaken. Bast nodded to him like you ready?

Carter swallowed and nodded, accepting his own blade and shield.

"Let this fight begin!" Bast said.

Kwai attacked immediately, a solid cut Carter blocked on his shield. They circled each other, the water swirling beneath them. Then Carter went on the offensive, swinging his blade at Kwai's legs, which he leaped back to avoid. Carter was good, he'd trained for years, but Kwai was a lot bigger than he was. Which means he's also slower, a little voice said in his head. Carter twisted around Kwai's blade, then crashed his shield into Kwai's back. Kwai stumbled forward, falling to his knees before getting up again. He snarled and backed up, bringing his shield back up his chest.

They circled each other again, each looking for a weakness. Faster than Carter could blink, Kwai stepped forward and slashed his blade at Carter's head. Carter jerked back as the blade sliced the air in front him, grazing his forehead. Carter stumbled back and touched his head. His hand came away bloody. Get it together, Carter, he told himself. He rolled his shoulders and bounced on the balls of his feet. Kwai surged forward again, but this time Carter was ready. He sidestepped Kwai's first cut, and weaved around his shield. With Kwai off balance, Carter slammed the hilt of his blade into the back of Kwai's head, sending him splashing into the water.