Chapter 5

"We should interrogate her first," Carter said. "It's our vibranium."

Jaz turned away from the window. "No. She was shooting at me, I get to interrogate her first. And you're in my safe house."

"I was the one that knocked her out," Zia chimed in. "That means we go first."

"I'm sorry, this is my operation," Jaz said. "I don't care about where the vibranium came from or what she knows about it, I care about where the vibranium's going. I will ask my questions first, then you all can ask yours. Understood?"

Carter sighed. "If it means keeping international diplomacy, fine. But we're watching."

"Wonderful." Jaz opened the door to Sarah's room. "Sarah Jacobi," she said, her voice distorted behind the glass window. "International smuggler, number one suspect in biowarfare trafficking. And now vibranium dealer. That's quite a list."

Sarah tugged at the zip ties securing her wrists to the chair. "I have a lot of talents."

Jaz sat in the chair across from her. "What was the point of killing me? If you wanted to keep the vibranium why even offer it up?"

Sarah laughed. "You know nothing. The point was to kill you. We just didn't plan on the Wakandians being there."

"You still haven't answered my question. Why kill me?"

"Believe it or not, you've been quite the thorn in the smuggling industry. I was hired to take you out."

Jaz frowned. "Hired by who?"

"Maybe I shouldn't say hired. More like elected."

"You're lying."

Sarah smiled coldly. "Am I?"

"Who were you going to give the vibranium to?" Jaz leaned closer. "We heard you tell your henchman to bring it someone. A she. Is that your boss?"

"I don't know what you're talking about," Sarah said. "No one is my boss. No one gives me orders."

"You're lying. Tell me the truth."

Carter leaned over towards Zia. "She needs to ask about if Sarah knows where the vibranium is from."

"I know," Zia whispered back.

"Or what?" Sarah was saying. "I'm not in the mood."

"Put me in there," Zia said. "I'll make her talk."

Carter shook his head. "We have to let the CIA do their thing."

Jaz flung open the door and slammed it behind her. "She's not gonna talk."

"Maybe you didn't try hard enough," Zia said.

"Excuse me?"

"You heard me."

Carter stepped between them. "This isn't getting us anywhere. Why don't I ask a few questions?"

"Why do you think she's going to talk to you?" Jaz said.

"I don't know. But she's not talking to you."

"Fair enough. We don't we-"

Ka-boom! An explosion rocked the side of the building,the force knocking the four of them to the ground. Pieces of glass rained down and Carter's ears rang. He could make out the shape of someone, probably Walt, using the wall to stand, the dust settling like a blanket.

Carter forced himself to get up and staggered into the room where Sarah was.

Two people cut the ties around her wrists and helped her up and out the jagged hole blown in wall. One turned, and upon seeing Carter, opened fire.