Chapter 10

Carter leaned over Walt's shoulder. "What is that?"

"I think that's... Sadie's armada." The fleet of hovercrafts below glittered like beetles on the tarmac.

"That's not good." Carter could only imagine their contents. "We have to stop this before they take off. Turn around and check on Anubis's army, will you?"

"You're the boss!" Walt muscled the hovercraft back towards the field the army advanced across. Army was a loose word, Anubis described them as "between this world and the next" but they were really just a collection of exiles and outcasts, those that kept to themselves. Most were magic users, some were just good fighters. Carter wasn't sure how Anubis convinced them to fight for the very kingdom they fled, but Carter made a mental note to reward them assuming they won.

"They're almost there," Carter said. "Let's touch down and lead them the rest of the way."

"Of course. Hey by the way," Walt said over his shoulder, "there's a suit for you in the back."

"Really?" Carter rustled through a bin and pulled out the black and silver suit's necklace. "Wow! When did you get this?"

"I just figured it would be useful to have here. In case, you know, something like this happened."

"Your powers of foresight are incredible," Carter murmured as he ran his fingers over it. He had already taken the Black Panther herb, all that was left was this suit. "Thank you, Walt."

Walt grinned and saluted. "It's what I'm here for. Now shut up while I concentrate on landing."

Carter smiled and said nothing further.

***

Zia, Jaz, and Amos led the army on their march and briefed them on the plan of attack. Their army would engage the main Wakandan forces on the field while Carter, Walt, Zia, and Jaz worked their way to the palace to engage Sadie. Simple, but hopefully effective.

But as their army created the rise, Sadie's stood to meet them.

"Beating you once wasn't enough, brother?" Sadie called. Carter grit his teeth when he saw her black panther suit. Gold and black.

"Our challenge still stands!" he called back. "I never yielded, and as you can see, I'm not dead!"

Sadie's army shifted uncomfortably. Many of them were his father's loyal friends and generals. Well, Carter corrected, not loyal to my father. Loyal to Wakanda. Because in their minds Sadie one the challenge and was the rightful queen. Carter's survival threw a wrench into things.

Sadie unsheathed a claw and let it gleam in the evening sun. "I don't have to fight you again, Carter. I have nothing left to prove. Take your army and live in exile, that is as far as my mercy will go."

"I can't do that." Carter unsheathed his claws. "But I can make sure you don't ruin my home."

"Oh your home is ruined?" Sadie's eyes burned with rage. "This is just the beginning." She raised her hand, then pointed forward. "Attack them!" she commanded. "I have things to take care of."

As Sadie's army advanced on Carter's, she slipped away into the crowd, likely heading back to the palace. But why? Then Carter remembered the hovercrafts.

"She's going to launch an attack or something," he said to Zia. "We have to get to the palace and stop her from launching the hovercrafts." He turned to Amos. "Can you hold off her army?"

His uncle nodded. "Of course. But be quick. We want to end this as fast as possible."

"Agreed. Zia, Walt, Jaz, with me. We have to stop Sadie at the palace. Everyone else?" Carter raised his voice. "For Wakanda!" His army cheered and rushed forward to intercept Sadie's, their weapons clashing as the fighting rang out.