Chapter 6

Carter walked behind Zia to the medical center where Jaz was. "How long has she been awake?"

"Just a few minutes," Zia said, pressing her ring to the scanner. The doors opened, revealing a very disgruntled Jaz.
"Whoa!" Zia rushed to catch her arm. "Jaz, calm down."

"What-" she lifted up her shirt- "how? And where am I?"

Zia helped Jaz to a chair. "This is kind of a long story. What do you remember?"

"I..." Jaz frowned. "I got shot I think. When we were interrogating Sarah Jacobi. After that I got nothing. But I feel totally fine. Why?"

Carter shared a glance with Zia. "Jaz, you're in Wakanda. We took you with us to heal you."

"This isn't Wakanda." Jaz stood and pressed her hands to the window overlooking the vibranium tunnels. "It can't be."

Carter joined her at the window. "It is. We've kept this a secret from the rest of the world, but Wakanda is home to the largest vibranium deposition in the world. Everything here is powered by it. Our trains, our hovercrafts, our medical instruments. It's how we healed you."

Jaz blinked. "So this whole time, you've- you've had this?" She gestured to the activity outside the window.

"Jaz," Zia said, "you're the first outsider Wakanda has ever housed. It's imperative that you don't say anything to anybody. For the time being," she added with a glance at Carter.

Jaz turned from the window. "I-I won't. And I won't forget what you did for me."

Zia shook her head. "We're even now. You saved my life, we saved yours."

"Fair enough."

The doors behind them opened and Bast jogged in. "Carter, you and I need to...." her voice trailed off when she saw Jaz. "Who's this?"

"You're back!" Zia said.

"Bast, this is Jaz Anderson, an American CIA agent," Carter said. "She's here because she got shot. It's, ah, a long story." Carter turned to Jaz. "Jaz, this is Bast, goddess of cats and protector slash spiritual leader of Wakanda."

Bast smiled, her teeth sharper than any humans. "Pleasure to meet you Jaz."

Jaz blinked, a little pale. "Nice to meet you too."

Bast turned away from her. "Zia, do you mind if I borrow Carter? There's something we need to talk about."

"Oh of course! He's all yours." Zia smirked and leaned in towards Carter. "Funny she asks me for permission."

"Oh shut up."

As Bast reached for the handle, the door opened again. Amos. He was out of breath.

"Everyone, get to the throne room! We have a visitor."

Carter jumped to his feet. "What does that mean?"

"I don't know yet. We just got a report from the border. But it's time for you to be king, Carter."

Carter's heart raced at that. He'd only been king for a couple days, he wasn't ready to start making serious decisions yet.

"Okay. Okay. Just give me five," Carter said. Zia caught his eye and raised her eyebrows almost imperceptibly. Carter shook his head.

Jaz went to follow Zia out of the room, but Bast stopped her with a hand. "Not you."

"But-"

"No she's right," Carter said. "I'm sorry, but we can't risk anyone seeing you." He glanced over at Amos. "Maybe Felix could keep her company?"