Chapter 2: Morgan

Chapter 2: Morgan

"I would like to have a refill and the same chocolate-chip muffin." I requested the server whom I caught staring at me, as I went through more job vacancies in the newspaper. I couldn't fault her though. I knew I was a pitiful sight with my stuff kept in the chair beside me and faded clothes. Thank god there were no customers inside at this time of the hour.

"Sure, one moment."

Her words went from one ear to another, as I focused on the task at hand. Since I was out of a job now, I needed to get another one soon. I clenched my teeth, thinking back to what all had happened in the precinct not two hours ago...

"Officer Morgan Park, you are hereby stripped of your position and rank, please deposit your gun and badge on the first floor. Your termination has already been processed."

Angry tears threatened to leak as I clutched my fingers to form a fist, mentally cursing at my Captain who sat on the other side of the desk. He had an indifferent expression on his face and not for the first time that hour, I wanted to punch it. He had his reading glasses on as he went through some texts on his phone. He had barely even glanced at me while firing me from my job.

"You know I have been framed."

"That is not for me to decide."

"Why don't you just say that this is because of the fact that I arrested the Deputy Chief's son? This is not the first time that office politics has come in the way of justice." Bitterness was evident in my voice, cursing the system.

He finally looked up, eyes flashing almost as if warning me not to speak anymore.

"There is no hard evidence that he was the ringleader behind the drug cartel. You overreached. I had told you to drop it a long time back."

"You wanted me to drop it because you knew it was him all along. You are helping in covering the whole thing up."

"The way you got that information was suspicious. And the witness couldn't present themselves in court. That is the end of the discussion."

"They were supplying drugs to thirteen-year-old kids! Kids in the park! While going to school! Are you seriously telling me that the information I had gotten was 'suspicious' because it was an undocumented person who came forward? That's what makes her words a lie? What about the kid who almost overdosed?" I couldn't help but slam my hands down on the desk. Rage was like molten lava in my veins.

What was frustrating me even more that the Captain knew I was right. All evidence I had meticulously collected over the last six months pointed to the son of the Deputy Chief. But my Captain didn't have the guts to face the wrath of the people above him in the hierarchy and gave up the fight like a coward.

"I am not having any more discussions with you. You have been terminated from your post. You may take your stuff and leave, or you will be forcefully escorted out."

So, I did with the dignity I still had in me, slamming his door with such force that the picture hanging outside got knocked over. After gathering all my stuff, I left with all the sympathetic glances and the obligatory wishes of 'good luck for the future' from my colleagues.

And that was it.

The end of a four-year career.

"Here you go. Holler if you need anything else!" She said, keeping another plate with the muffin down on the newspaper and refilling my cup of coffee. Looking up, I nodded my thanks at the sweet older lady and went back to job hunting. Severance pay would only last so long.