Chapter 10: Morgan

Chapter 10: Morgan

I ignored the look Aldric sent me, as I looked out of the window. I watched as tall buildings zoomed past, their glass windows glittering because of the clear sky. New York really was a jungle of concrete. Most of the people on the streets were rushing to their offices, some getting snacks from a few roadside vendors. We stopped at a red-light and it gave Aldric, who was currently driving the black Mercedes, the perfect opportunity to send me a continued stream of side eye glances.

"What?" I muttered, finally looking at him.

I should have taken the car Wayne was in. It was practically empty.

"Nothing!" He raised his arms in surrender before placing them back on the steering wheel. I sighed.

Life has become ten times more complicated.

I didn't know Aldric would be assigned to the same person—Stella De'LaCourt—as me. This morning, when we had seen each other at the entrance of Elijah James's house, we were both confused. Unlike me who knew I would be around Stella, he didn't.

I could see how worried Aldric was. He knew the history and the hate I carried towards the De'LaCourts and had barely managed to ask me if I was alright before we left for the Oria office. I am sure he thought I was in the same situation as him, not knowing whom I would be assigned to until the time came.

He is wrong, of course. But I wouldn't correct his assumption. I had a goal in mind, and Aldric would just get in the way with all his self-righteousness.

To complicate matters further, I could not reveal that I was Stella's bodyguard because of the contract. It clearly stated that no one needed to know until it was absolutely necessary, because if the information leaked somehow, I would have to pay a very hefty fine. So, even for Aldric, I was just her assistant.

"It will be okay, Stella. Take a deep breath." Elijah gently whispered to the woman sitting beside him in the backseat.

My thoughts digressed as the light turned green and the car started to roll forward.

I had not noticed it when I had broken into her house, but Stella really was beautiful. I only had a brief amount of time to stare at her openly, which I had utilized to the fullest. I remember thinking how silky her long brown hair would feel if I ever touched them. I remember thinking how I liked the way she dressed and how she conducted herself when she met the three of us—Wayne, Aldric and I. And...her eyes. It was her eyes that caught my attention. The hazel-grey heterochromatic coloring of her pupils reminded me of someone I had long forgotten.

All these feelings, which I could only describe as attraction, made me angry. How can she make me feel this way? I didn't like it. I didn't like it at all. She was nothing but a person whose family murdered my sister. Stella meant nothing to me, just a means to an end for my revenge.

Trying to control all my emotions during the time for introductions, I had decided to bow to her, instead of shaking her hand. I didn't want to touch her at all, and I was afraid a nod would not be appropriate, since she was supposed to be my employer.

I sighed, and again stared out of the window, scratching the back of my head where it was still hurting a bit. Lost in my thoughts, I caught myself looking at Stella again through the side mirrors of the car. Like me, she was looking outside, staring at the scenery. The rays of the sun illuminated part of her face as she looked up at some buildings.

I turned my gaze away as mixed feelings began to rise up in me again.

"Can we go over the meeting points once more?" a soft voice cut through the silence.