Chapter 14: Morgan

Chapter 14: Morgan

"Morgan, you need to tell me now dude, this is literally a life and death situation." Tianna's voice came through the phone as I struggled to control my laughter. I leaned against the wall of the empty corridor and brushed my hand through my hair.

"Are you laughing?! Park, do you want me to video call you and give you a live stream of the poop and pee fountain?! This is my Vietnam!" She screamed as her baby laughed and cooed in the distance. "Tell me where the diapers are, right now!"

"How am I supposed to know?" I gasped out, clutching my chest as my entire body shook with mirth. "Ask Aldric. He was the one who restocked the cupboard yesterday."

"I know! I tried calling him, but he is not picking up!"

"Tia, I am not sure what to do in this situation. I can only get you new ones no earlier than tonight."

"Do you want to pay for my therapy after this? I am traumatized as hell! Today I threw out an entire carton of chocolate milkshake because it reminded me of—" Tia's panicked voice cut off as the call suddenly went on hold. I waited for a minute or two before cancelling the call.

Sighing, I made my way back towards Stella's cabin and just as I entered, my phone pinged with a message.

Psychic Mom: Aldric called me back. I found the diapers. Crisis averted!

I smiled as I kept my phone back in my coat pocket, unaware that Stella was watching my every move. I only looked up when she called my name.

"Shall we leave for the meeting now?" Her soft voice made me gulp as her eyes searched my face. It was crazy, insane, almost ridiculous how attracted I felt towards her. Every single thing she did looked so adorable.

I thought back to the time when she had accidentally spilled some water on herself and how her cheeks had flared up in response.

It was alarming how my body had reacted to her. Before I had time to process my actions, I had already extended the tissue paper towards her. And not only today. That night when I wanted to harm her and instead ended up protecting her...

My actions were not my own anymore.

"Morgan?" She questioned again, bringing me out of my zoned-out thoughts as she tilted her head to the side.

Stop. I wanted to tell her. Stop doing that. I cannot stop looking at your neckline.

"Ye-," I cleared my throat. "Yes."

*

I am sure it was awkward. The way people stopped what they were doing and turned around to look at Stella before starting to whisper amongst themselves. Some of them were even bold enough to throw in a nasty look or two.

It felt as if it was Stella who had committed the heinous crime back then, and not her father. It was almost like a walk of atonement, and I was partially waiting for the Septa Unella to pop out from somewhere and scream 'shame, shame'.

People parted like the red sea as we passed by, Stella walking a couple of steps ahead of me. I observed how her back was rim-rod straight, as she took unrushed steps. She wasn't shying away from all the attention and instead was keeping her head up.

I matched her speed, as I stayed a couple of steps behind. A few people looked at me and stared and whispered, but it was Stella who was under the spotlight.

I pretended not to notice the small sigh that left Stella when we reached the door of the meeting hall. She froze and just stared straight right ahead for a beat, as if she had x-ray vision. I watched as she took in a deep breath and stretched herself to her full height, with her shoulders pushed back.

Was she waiting for me to open the door?

My question was answered when she threw the door open and entered, her heels clicking on the floor. Before the swinging door could shut on its own, I entered as well, surveying the space and the reaction of the people in it.

There were about twelve or thirteen people scattered around a big oval table in the middle of the meeting hall. The room in itself was spacious with another line of chairs kept for the observers and assistants like me some distance away. On one wall to the far end, was a projector with a podium beside it for presentations.

I checked the time on my phone. There were still ten minutes left for the meeting to start.

I watched from a corner as Stella greeted every person in there with a polite smile, which turned genuine as a familiar person approached her. I was far away from her so it is not suspicious as to why I was staring at my boss, but close enough to eavesdrop if I strained my ears.

"Amara!" Stella couldn't control her excitement as she grabbed my mentor's hand. "It has been so long!"

"It is so good to see you, Stel! Welcome back!" Amara's whole demeanor changed from an austere person to friendly.

"How have you been? Eli told me you are working as Richard's assistant?"

"What?" Amara blinked. "Elijah didn't tell you I am working as his secretary as well after his last one quit citing that she was overworked?"

"Overworked? Does Elijah even get work for him to delegate to others?" Stella joked as both girls burst out laughing. I managed to stop the smile threatening to break out on my face.

"Yeah, I honestly don't know about that. I just report to him daily and ask for tasks or if he needs any help, but he always says he will take care of it. I am pretty sure his previous assistant was just lying."

"Hey Dante!" Stella called out suddenly and I moved my head to see whom she was addressing. A man who had just entered the meeting room stopped and turned to face her. He was tall, almost the same height as me, but had a slightly more muscular build. I was expecting him to get closer to her, by the amount of familiarity Stella's tone had, but much to my and apparently Stella's surprise, after a brief nod, he continued to ignore her.

In retrospect, it was weird how this Dante person's hands had clenched when Stella had called him. As if he was...angry.

"What is up with him?" Stella whispered to Amara as the latter turned to look around at the guy. "Did something happen? He was fine in the morning."

"Who knows. He has always seemed to be a bit grouchy to me."

I jumped, a bit startled when a loud 'ding' blasted over the speakers in the room, announcing the start of the meeting. I sighed and then nodded at Amara, who came over to sit beside me after promising Stella to catch up soon, on the chairs for the audience as Stella took her designated seat at the head of the table. 

---

I have Keratitis in my right eye, so I am asking mom to upload my chapter for me, since I really, really wanted you guys to read it.

My birthday was also yesterday, and it was quite a memorable one.
I wanted to cancel the whole thing, since I was feeling too conscious with the IV drip and the eyepatch, but my entire family turned the event into a pirate themed event, with everyone wearing eyepatches, wearing pirate hat, the bandanna....

I wanted to cry, because was so overwhelmed with feelings, but I couldn't strain my eyes. So I am planning a proper cry fest on 30th October, once I am feeling better, haha.

Your crazy writer,

Your crazy writer,

-A