Chapter 12: Morgan

Chapter 12: Morgan

Amara Pickard was definitely a woman a person would look at and say, wow.

It wasn't like she was exceptionally beautiful like Stella, but the confidence oozing out of her made her more attractive. Despite being short, one fiery look from her green eyes was enough to make anyone cower.

But the things which really fascinated me were how quickly and efficiently she solved a couple of problems which came to her during my orientation and the vocabulary she had. I muttered gibberish under my breath as I wrote the word 'pontificate' on the small notebook I had, and circled it to google it up later, and continued to walk alongside my mentor.

After a grueling one on one session between me and Amara, we were finally enroute to my workstation. We were currently in the elevator together.

"So, this portion of the floor is dedicated only to the senior most employees in the company, which means only the offices of some board members, CFO and CEO are here. As I have explained to you, you need to keep the keycard with you to enter that corridor. Without that you will be stuck outside." She informed me as I patted my coat pocket to make sure the small white rectangle was there.

"Are these keycards assigned to one person?" I asked casually as the elevator dinged and the doors opened.

"Yes, of course. Oria takes it's security very seriously. It takes a couple of days to replace a lost card, but the entire process is exhausting, and not to mention whenever you need to travel to and fro, you will always need a security guard with you. I would suggest not to lose it." She tucked a piece of blonde hair behind her ear.

"Got it." I nodded as I dodged a cart filled with packages and parcels in my way.

Well, there goes another one of my plans.

My main goal was still the same.

Stella's destruction.

For that, I would need to be the best secretary there is, to her. In the end, when I finally make my move, no doubt would come on me. I promised myself that everyday I will perfect my plan, and in fact, it should be really easy. I will have records of wherever she is going and where she needs to go. Most probably, I will be the one to get her, her takeaways. It was literally so easy to slip her some poison or something.

I just needed to be patient. And decide if I wanted her to suffer first or not.

"Okay, we have gone through the basics of what you need to do but I will still share a compendium with all the necessary things you need to go over via mail."

I blinked and then added the word 'compendium' underneath 'pontificate'.

"Amara!" We both turned around to see a middle-aged woman rushing over where we were and looping her arms with Amara's. I stifled a snicker when I saw an irritated look on my mentor's face. Idlily, I wondered if this new person was really so bad? "Will you come with us to lunch? It's sushi day!"

With a smile which seemed forced, Amara removed her hand and gestured to me. "I can't today, Dennis. I need to show our newest member the ropes."

The short woman's wide black eyes fixated on me, as if she was seeing me for the first time. With an enthusiastic expression on her face, she extended a hand for me to shake. "Hey there, I am Dennis, Dante James's assistant. You are in good hands if Amara is your liaison. She is one of the best secretaries in the company."

"Morgan. Nice to meet you." I politely shook her hand, but then my smile turned awkward as I realized the woman was not letting go after the gesture. Beside me, Amara rolled her eyes.

"Have some shame, Dennis. He is at least ten years younger than you." Amara chided as she shook her head in exasperation.

"Age is just a number." Dennis's grin was almost maniacal.

"Yes, and a harassment suit is just a piece of paper. Come on now, I need to get him back before the meeting starts." With that, she walked on ahead and I almost sighed in relief when Dennis finally let go.

"So, who gets this cutie?" Dennis asked as we trailed behind Amara. I glanced at her sideways and decided I did not like this woman. Amara's annoyance was justified.

"The CEO."

"Stella De'LaCourt!" Dennis stopped walking as her eyes turned into saucers. "Oh my god, I feel so sorry for you!" She addressed me.

"What? Why?"

"Being a secretary to a murderer's daughter? I could never! I would be too scared in case she loses her mind like her father someday."

"Dennis, for the last time, just because Steven was twisted doesn't mean that Stella is, as well. She is a respectable, moral person. She is the one who presented evidence against her own father." Amara's assertive tone gave the other woman a brief pause as I looked away to focus on a random abstract art on the wall.

It made no sense to agree or disagree to either point of view. Maybe Stella was good. Maybe Stella was bad. It made no difference.

I was here for one thing only.

With a huff, Amara left as she received an important call, but not before telling Dennis to guide me to Stella's office and me to get Stella down in the meeting room after lunch for the board meeting.

As we made our way quietly towards her office and through the big ceiling to floor glass windows, I could see Stella sitting behind a desk in the big room and reading a document. Her long hair which was falling in waves over her shoulders looked like a waterfall. I caught sight of simple silver earrings which I had missed before, as she brought one of her hands forward to push her hair back. It matched the delicate chain she was wearing around her neck. It killed me to admit, but Stella really was the most beautiful woman I had ever seen.

When she caught sight of me, she released her bottom lip which she had been biting while reading and smiled. She gestured for me to come inside but a grip on my forearm stopped me from doing so.

"Don't trust Amara blindly." Dennis stated, as her eyes bore into mine. "Stella and she went to the same school. Despite whatever Amara has claimed about Stella's character, she is dangerous. I would be careful if I were you, Morgan. Always watch your back."

----
Damn, it seems like Dennis wants to spill some hot tea :D
I hope you like this week's update!
Let me know in the comments. :)

Elizabeth Olsen as Amara Pickard:

 :)Elizabeth Olsen as Amara Pickard:

All my love,
-A