#6 Points betting

"Money won is twice as sweet as money earned."

—Paul Newman.

 I left the gymnasium and headed for the club activity building. I was going to the chess club room. It's past the start time of the club activities, so everyone except the head of the club should be there. As I was thinking this, Shiina came running from behind me.

 "Wait, Hikigaya-san."

 "Shiina you were in tea ceremony club, right? You stopped me because you want to go with me?"

 "Yes, And I'm curious about what you were talking about with the student council president earlier. I'm sure you once said that you joined this school because you wanted someone who could compete with you."

 "That's true. I think there is something I can learn from President Horikita. Besides, if you join the student council, you will be able to get to know most of the seniors in the upper grades, so there is no harm in joining."

 If you join the student council, you'll be involved in checking the equipment of each club activity. It's not a bad idea to make some connections.

 "Speaking of which, why are you here, Hikigaya-san?. You're going to join the student council, right?"

 "I'm going to visit the chess club because they're betting on points.I've already confirmed with the president Horikita."

 "I see. By the way, Hikigaya-san. Have you noticed that? You seem to be enjoying yourself a lot."

 "Really? it's true that I'm having fun. Thanks to joining this school, I was able to meet Shiina."

 As we were talking about this, we arrived at the chess club room. I'm sorry to say goodbye, but I'm leaving Shiina here.

 "Bye, Shiina. Good luck with your club activities."

 "Yes. You too, Hikigaya-san."

 I split up with Shiina and knocked before going inside. The room was about the size of a regular classroom, and there were seven boys and six girls inside, playing chess except for one extra person. The advisor was reading a book in the corner of the room.

 Then the other side seemed to notice me, and a boy who was not playing chess came over to talk to me.

 "Who are you?"

 "I'm Hikigaya Hachiman, class 1-A."

 "Are you here to join the club? I was at the reception desk in the gymnasium. What can I do for you?"

 "I read on the bulletin board that this club has a betting system for points, so I came to place a bet."

 Instantly, the atmosphere in the room changed. Everyone in the room looked at me as if they were judging me. The advisor looked at me and was convinced. Since I was able to figure out the answer to the system since my first day at school.

 "Hmm. What do you mean by 'betting points'?"

 "It means exactly what it says. Points can be used for all kinds of things, like the right to move from one class to another. You have to have insurance, don't you?"

 When I said that, the senior in front of me looked at me with interest.

"Wow, it's amazing that you can see through just after entering the school. So you're planning to get the points by betting?"