ii. to storm or fire

CHAPTER TWO:TO STORM OR FIRE

CHAPTER TWO:
TO STORM OR FIRE

■ ■ ■ ■ ■

ANNAIS REGRETTED NOT FIGHTING harder to be Piper's partner. After ten minutes spent listening to Leo's endless chatter, she was ready to pitch herself down the Grand Canyon. She wished she had the liberty to tune him out like Jason was doing, but Leo seemed more determined than ever to annoy her in particular, poking her cheek and jabbing her in the ribs with his elbow whenever she started to space out. Finally, after what felt like forever, he spared a frown in Jason's direction.

"Hey, you alright?" he asked. Jason was looking awfully pale and sweaty as he grabbed onto the railing -- Annais might've guessed that it was a reaction to how high up they were, but there was pain to his eyes that spoke of something much deeper. She was concerned for a moment before she quickly pushed the thought away. Until she knew who he was, she was not taking chances.

"I'm fine," he stuttered breathlessly. "Just a headache."

In time with his words, thunder rumbled above them. A cold wind almost knocked the three of them sideways off the bridge, forcing Annais to reluctantly grab hold of Jason's bicep to keep herself upright. The muscle pulled taut under her touch and Annais quickly stepped away, sparing an uneasy glance at the rather fragile bridge she stood upon.

"This can't be safe," Leo muttered as he followed her line of sight. "Storm's right over us but it's clear all the way around. Weird, huh?"

"For once, I agree with you," Annais murmured, so quiet they almost didn't hear her. Dark, roaring clouds were gathering in a perfect circle right above the skywalk, but the rest of the sky in every direction was crystal clear. Her stomach twisted with nerves at the sight. Something was going to happen, she could feel it in her bones.

"Alright, cupcakes!" Gleeson yelled. He was also watching the storm like it bothered him too. "We may have to cut this short so get to work! Remember, complete sentences!"

The storm rumbled again, a wince flickering across Jason's face. From where she was peering over the edge, Annais spied him reaching into his pocket. Immediately, she was spinning around, her hand reaching for her ring incase. However, nothing bad happened as he brought out a coin, a perfect circle of gold the size of a half-dollar but thicker. Stamped on one side was a picture of a battle-axe while the other showed off some guy Annais didn't recognise wreathed in laurels. She frowned at it, uncertainty washing over her.

"Dang, is that gold?" Leo gasped in delight. "You've been holding out on us."

Jason quickly put the coin away when he caught Annais and Leo looking, but Annais saw no fear pass through his eyes. It was almost a protective sort of instinct, like how she responded whenever somebody pointed out 'how pretty' her ring was.

"It's nothing," he muttered. "Just a coin."

Leo shrugged at him, unconcerned. "Come on," he preened. "I dare you to spit over the edge."