x. through glass

CHAPTER TEN:THROUGH GLASS

CHAPTER TEN:
THROUGH GLASS

■ ■ ■ ■ ■

NOBODY SAID ANYTHING FOR one second, two, then Khione was shifting behind them. Annais watched as Jason froze beside her, turning in time to see Khione placing her cold fingers against the back of his neck, an alluring smile tugging at her cherry-coated lips. Annais' stomach gave a weird twist. She wanted to rip Khione's fingers off one by one until the ice bitch was begging for mercy. She wasn't sure when or how, but Jason was an equal to her. The thought of anyone like Khione touching him (or any of the others, don't get her wrong now...) made her uncomfortable.

Then, of course, the ice bitch had to open her mouth. "My father gives me such lovely presents. Join our court. Perhaps I'll let you friends go." In an instant, Annais saw red.

"What?" Zethes' outraged cry cut through her anger. "If Khione gets this one, then I deserve the girls. Khione always gets more presents."

"Oh, like hell," Ezra snarled.

"Now, children," Boreas cut them off with a stern shake of his head. "Our guests will think you are spoiled." Too late for that. "Besides, you moved too fast. We have not even heard the demigod's story yet. Then we will decide what to do with them. Please, Jason Grace, entertain us."

He said nothing for an instant, just standing there with wide eyes, Khione's fingers stroking his neck. Then, suddenly, he was clenching his jaw and electricity was buzzing along his skin. There was a loud pop like someone had forced a knife into a power point. Khione gave a shriek of fright, flying through the air to land beside her brother. Annais smiled.

"That is good!" Zethes cackled in pure delight. "I'm glad you did that, even though I have to kill you now."

Khione forced herself onto her feet, teeth bared as snow gathered in the air. "You dare--"

"Stop," Jason commanded, voice echoing around the room. Apart from his voice and Ezra's laughter, there was silence again. Annais shifted, a weird sensation in her stomach. "You're not going to kill us. And you're not going to keep us. We're on a quest for the Queen of the Gods herself, so unless you want Hera busting down your doors, you're going to let us go."

"And trust me," Ezra preened. "Mother hates it when minor gods inconvenience her."

Khione gave a startled gasp, looking between Jason and Ezra with what Annais thought to be fear. Then, her expression changed to one of cool indifference, and she and Zethes paused to look at their father for guidance. Boreas' eyes twinkled as he analysed the situation, in anger or amusement, no one was sure. Eventually, he gave a hum of acknowledgment and gestured towards Jason.

"A son of Zeus, favoured by Hera? A daughter of the Queen herself?" he murmured. "Now these are definitely firsts. Tell us your story, Jason Grace."