xxxiii. ship to wreck

CHAPTER THIRTY-THREE:SHIP TO WRECK

SHIP TO WRECK

■ ■ ■ ■ ■

RACKED BY GUILT AND grief, Mel refused to sleep until she knew for sure that Leo was alive or dead. From sunset until sunrise, she paced the deck like the Argo II's very own woeful ghost, just waiting for some sort of sign, something -- anything -- that would put her mind at ease. She even found herself worrying about Hazel and Frank, but nothing pained her more than wondering if her last few weeks with Leo were spent riddled by so much tension. No one knew what to say. Even Ezra, who normally knew how to navigate Mel's feelings, seemed stumped as she listened to the girl lash out at everyone who got too close. This left Annais to bear the brunt of it, forcing herself to stay awake alongside Mel, the two of them anticipating the first signs of dawn. The others had repaired the ship and Percy had scoured the ocean, but came up with nothing. There was nothing else for them to do but wait.

Some God out there must've taken pity on them. That was the only thing that could explain it. In a matter of seconds -- that is to say, after hours had already dragged by -- Annais let her eyes rest for just one instant then reopened them to witness Mel all but diving over the railing.

"Mel!" she cried and rushed after her.

Hearing her cry from the Dining Room, the others came running. They were shocked to find Annais grinning, a stark contrast to the sound of her terrified shout. It was only when they saw Mel wading through the water below them, doing everything in her power to reach where Leo, Frank and Hazel were floating to the surface in three giant pink bubbles, that similar expressions settled across their own faces.

"Miss me?" Annais heard Leo laugh seconds before Mel threw her arms around his neck and kissed him square on the mouth. "Oh. This is nice."

Mel laughed, kissing him again as Hea whispered what was happening into Ezra's ear and Ezra wolf-whistled teasingly. Mel pulled back to scold her, her face tinted pink. Then, like a wave had suddenly washed over her, she whirled back around to Leo and smacked his shoulders with trembling fists.

"You idiot!" she exclaimed, and hit him again for good measure. "Where the hell were you?"

Leo winced. In a rare display of sweetness, he curled his arms around her waist and kissed her cheek. "It's a long story. Forgive me? I'll make it up to you--"

"Okay! I think I've heard enough," Ezra gagged in disgust. 

"I agree," Annais muttered, her nose scrunched-up in shared distaste. "Maybe you should've stayed under the water, Valdez."

"Annais!" Mel gasped, but didn't seem all that bothered when Leo laughed at her sister's remark.

Once the four of them were hoisted back on board the ship, they were given a few minutes' reprieve to change into dry clothes before Annabeth called a meeting on the quarterdeck. She claimed it was a 'celebration' but not even five minutes into their feast containing the brownies Leo, Frank and Hazel had brought back up with them -- a long story, Leo had repeated when Annais confusedly questioned him about it -- the conversation returned to the matter at hand.