viii. dead and gone

CHAPTER EIGHT:DEAD AND GONE

CHAPTER EIGHT:
DEAD AND GONE

■ ■ ■ ■ ■

ANNAIS ALREADY HATED THE sons of Boreas. An hour or so after Leo took his nap, they arrived in Quebec. The sun was a faint yellow on the horizon, casting the city below them in warm shadows that did nothing to combat the snow dusted across the asphalt and roofs of houses. In the centre of it all was a castle, a towering mansion made of red brick with a green gabled roof. Normally, Annais would've loved the sight of it, having been fascinated with history ever since she was a child and Hea would tell her stories from her favourite ancient societies. Now, however, she frowned at the scenery, an uneasy feeling in her stomach. She wanted to reach for Jason's hand again, but she stopped herself.

"Please tell me that's Quebec and not Santa's workshop," Leo groaned as Mel woke him up.

"Yeah, Quebec City," Piper confirmed with fascination. "One of the oldest cities in North America. Founded around sixteen hundred or so?"

Leo turned to look at her, an eyebrow raised. "Your dad do a movie about that too?"

Piper blushed and stuck her tongue out at him, though he didn't seem phased as he grinned and ran a dirt-encrusted hand through his curls. Annais wrinkled her nose at him, unsure how Mel seemed so enamoured by the messy boy. He was more like an annoying younger brother to her, but if he made Melanie happy, then she supposed she could look past the grease.

"I read sometimes, okay?" Piper said when everyone turned to hear her response. "Just because Aphrodite claimed me doesn't mean I have to be an airhead."

"That's the spirit," Ezra chuckled with mirth. "'Cause if you were anything like Drew, we'd have a problem, McLean."

"Damn, you're both so feisty," Leo snickered as Piper blushed again. "So since you know so much, Beauty Queen, what's that castle?"

"A hotel, I think."

He gave a laugh of disbelief. "No way."

"I feel like you're about to be proven wrong," Annais smirked at the back of his head.

And, as she suspected, he was. The warm lights outside the grand entrance of the castle illuminated a long red carpet housing several doormen, valet and porters wheeling in bags on sleek golden trays. Around them, people were making their way inside dressed in elegant suits, rich satin dresses and winter cloaks. Annais gaped at the sight; that was quite the hotel.

"The North Wind is staying in a hotel?" Leo frowned. "That can't be--"

Behind Annais, Jason shifted suddenly, eyes locked above her head. "Heads up, guys, we've got company."

Rising above the hotel's tower were two winged figures. They were angels dressed in dark clothing, draped in shadows with swords to replace their halos. Instinctively, Annais slipped off her ring and held it tight in her palm, eyeing their weapons warily. Beneath them, Festus showed the same hesitancy, wings beating unevenly with talons bared. Leo reached out to pat him on the head, sending an uneasy glance at the others as he chuckled.