vii. happy the dragon

CHAPTER SEVEN:HAPPY THE DRAGON

CHAPTER SEVEN:
HAPPY THE DRAGON

■ ■ ■ ■ ■

ANNAIS HADN'T KNOWN WHAT to expect when Leo promised to find them transportation, but she certainly didn't think that he'd capture the dragon running loose in the woods and tame it. When she woke the next morning, it was to campers shouting in a strange cacophony of terror and intrigue. Annoyed but also curious, Annais changed out of the shorts and tank top she'd worn to bed and -- once deemed suitable in her black jeans with rips on the knees, cropped white tee and a simple pair of converse trainers -- she made her way out of the cabin to hear what the fuss was about. Whatever it was, it better be good for waking her up at the ass crack of dawn.

In the distance, she managed to make out the giant hunk of bronze metal cascading through the air with a hyperactive boy sitting proudly on its back. Her eyes went wide in a not-so-carefully masked look of shock; Leo Valdez never failed to surprise Annais Min, but a fucking flying dragon? She stood back and smirked as others rushed out dressed in a combination of pyjamas and armour, weapons raised while Leo held his hands up and called out, "it's cool! don't shoot!" over and over in an attempt to calm them down.

Eventually, the archers lowered their bows and the rest backed away, their spears and swords at the ready in case Leo happened to be wrong. No one knew what to make of the giant dragon. It towered over them with enough mass to shake the earth between their feet, a sixty-foot-long serpent with talons made of steel and ruby red eyes glowing vindictively in the rising sun. Somehow, Leo had found giant metallic wings to attach to its sides -- their very own personal private jet, Annais thought with amusement.

"Whoa," she heard someone gasp as they appeared at her side. Some of Piper's new charm had faded overnight, though her dark hair was still left in ringlets and faint makeup painted her lips a pretty shade of pink. She stared up at the dragon through long eyelashes, a grin tugging at the corners of her mouth as she declared to everyone in hearing distance, "It's beautiful."

As if hearing her words, the dragon reared its head back and shot an impressive column of fire into the air. People screamed and rushed even further away, but Leo simply grinned and slid from its back like the dragon was nothing more than a kitten.

"People of Earth, I come in peace," he shouted gleefully. Annais scoffed at him, earning a wave and a wink she later realised was aimed at Melanie's form just behind her before he turned back to everyone else. "Festus is just saying hello."

"That thing is dangerous," an Ares daughter hissed at him. Like most of the Ares children, her dark brows were set into a frown, thin lips curled into a sneer as she glared at the boy covered head to toe in soot and grease. "Kill it now."

"Hey," someone shouted as a few brave Ares boys began to approach Festus with their swords and spears. "Stand down."

The voice was powerful, fitting right in with the order of Camp Half-Blood, almost like it belonged there all along. But Annais knew it didn't as Jason pushed through the crowd with Annabeth and Ezra on one side of him and Leo's sister, Nyssa, on the other. None of the four said anything as Annabeth explained the sight to Ezra and Jason exchanged a confused glance with Annais through the crowd.