Embarrassment

"KI!" Oh no. "LLU!" Oh dear god no. "AAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!"

Killua screams as his older friend lifts him into the air. "Put me down you bafoon!!" His friend doesn't listen, of course. He smothers the younger, hugging him tight. Killua's feet don't touch the ground.

Meet Gon and Killua. Best friends since Killua was in preschool. Gon, however, was in fourth grade at the time. Yeah, Gon's five years older than his best friend but it's not like age matters. When it comes to friendship, at least. Friendship knows no bounds, especially when Gon Freecss is concerned.

Now, Gon's in high school. Sixteen, soon to be seventeen, and in Junior year. Meanwhile, Killua just started middle school, he's twelve. And here they are, at the joint high school/ middle school building. It's been years since the two were going to school in the same building. And of course, Gon has to be all dramatic about it. Even though they're next door neighbors.

"It's been so looooong!!" Gon dramatically sobs, nuzzling his nose into the crook of Killua's neck as he holds him up off the ground.

"Gross!" Killua hisses. "Put me down! I'm not a child!"

Gon sobs harder. "You're right. You're all grown up! My babyyyyyyyy!" He sobs.

"I am going to smite you!" Killua growls, fighting to be let go. "Let me go! People are staring!"

Gon pouts, setting Killua down. He glares at some onlookers before turning back to Killua with a smile. "So! Are you excited to start middle school?"

Killua rolls his eyes. "The only one excited here is you. I don't see what the big deal is..."

"It's exciting!" Gon whines. "We haven't gone to the same school since you were in kindergarten."

Killua's much less enthusiastic about sharing schools. Yeah, it's great that he gets to spend more time with Gon. But there's one little issue.

Gon is a very doting, caring older friend. He's great. He's always checking up on Killua, asking him questions about his wellbeing...

That means Gon's asked Killua if he has any friends at school.

Which resulted in Killua telling a big fat lie so that Gon wouldn't worry.

He told Gon that yeah, he has friends. Several. Plenty. But the truth is no, Gon is his one and only friend. He has no friends at school. Well, now he's at the same school as Gon so there's him at least.

But Killua is nervous that his lies will be exposed. Gon worries about him enough, which is ridiculous. And unnecessary. Killua doesn't want Gon to overreact once he finds out how Killua's peers treat him, either. He knows Gon is seriously overprotective. He secretly likes it. But Killua just knows he'll overreact to the bullying issue.

And he really, really doesn't want Gon to find out why he's being bullied.

"Come on, I'll walk you to class." Gon offers, holding Killua's hand as they walk through the school halls. Killua blushes brightly.

"Dude!" Killua pulls his hand away. "Is it your life's mission to be as embarrassing as humanly possible??"

Gon frowns. "We hold hands all the time-"

"Not in public!" Killua hisses.

"Yeah we do-" Gon's cut off by Killua's groans of frustration, he speeds up to walk ahead of Gon. Gon's stunned by his attitude, and quickly catches up. "Are you in puberty? Is that what this is about?"

Killua's eyes widen, turning a brighter shade of red. "Oh my god, Gon. Shut the hell up."

They reach Killua's homeroom, and Gon walks inside with him. Much to Killua's dismay. The teacher, who's sitting at her desk, looks up.

"Aw, if it isn't my favorite student." She smiles at Gon. Standing, she walks over to shake his hand. "Hard to believe you're already a Junior. Who would've thought your grades would survive that long."

Gon laughs. "Good to see you, too, Ms. Krueger."

She scoffs. "And you're still the only student with the balls to address me so formally." She glances at Killua, who's just itching to get away from his embarrassing older friend. "Are you one of my new students this year?"

"Yeah... Killua." Killua introduces himself. Gon is definitely going to say something to her to embarrass him. Why can't Gon just leave?

"Oh, is he the little boy you'd always talk about?" She asks with a small giggle.

Killua's face turns oh so red. Oh great. So Gon's not just embarrassing when Killua's there to suffer through it. For crying out loud. Why is Killua even friends with this dumbass.

Oh right. Because Killua's hopeless without him. And vice versa.

"Yup!" Gon grins. "Oh, but he's shy." He whispers. "He'll get grouchy if you try to push him out of his little box-"

"Goodbye!" Killua pushes Gon out of the classroom door as the first bell rings.

"Bye Ms Krueger!" Gon waves. "Bye Killua! See you at lunch!"

Oh dear god this is going to be a long year.

This is by far one of my favorite books I've ever written yall have no idea the kind of rollercoaster yall're in for-