In the Library

"Granger!" A voice broke through my thoughts. I was writing out an advanced transfiguration essay, and most people knew better than to interrupt me, so I was a bit surprised. I was even more so when I looked up and saw it was no one other than Draco Malfoy.

"Yes, Malfoy?" I returned rather crisply. We hadn't spoken since our exchange from the first night back. Other than that, he had only given half-hearted insults in the hallways occasionally, to boost his reputation and stop him from being hated even more by the other Slytherins, I assumed. Either way, I was apprehensive about sharing his company.

"Well, I, uh, need your help." He looked horribly embarrassed to admit this, and I realized how much he was swallowing his pride to talk to me here. This must be big.

"With what?" I asked, softening my tone a little.

"Well, I. How do I say this? I have a crush on one of your friends." He flushed, turning away a little.

"Finally admitted it to yourself?" I smirked.

He looked horrified. "What?"

"Malfoy, anyone with a functioning brain and a pair of eyes can tell you're gay for Harry."

"I am n-" He sighed irritatedly. "Maybe I am... Just a little."

"Of course," I smiled serenely. "What do you want my help with?"

"Well, some of my friends are trying to set us up, or at least like help me drop hints and stuff and they thought it would be good to have one of his friends in on it."

"I'm honored you chose me," I said, not entirely sarcastically. I mean, I'm not honored, but kinda pleased.

"So, they were wondering if we could kind of, like, pull you into our friend group?"

"Cool. I'd like that."

"Really?" Malfoy looked stupefied. "Why?"

"All the Gryffindors hate the Slytherins, and all the Slytherins hate the Gryffindors. I never really understood why, but I was hoping a chance would come up to get to know you lot better. I mean, you can't all be prejudiced gits."

"Such high words of praise, Granger." We both smiled dryly.

"I assume you'd prefer I don't broadcast this for now?" I continued, "I mean, the war's over, but there are still some pretty deeply ingrained rivalries."

"Yeah," Draco agreed, "That would be for the best. You really don't mind though? Because I know for a fact that most of us were horrible to you, myself especially."

"I want to know what made you guys do those things. No one can hate for no reason, and from what I've seen the pureblood families are pretty harsh. I've blamed you for so much, and I just don't anymore. You're just kids trying to listen to both your parents and hearts, and I can't hate you for that."

"Wow. Thanks. You're a lot nicer than I am."

I smiled, flipping my mess of curly hair backwards. "You're welcome, darling."

He walked away with a grin in his eyes, and I heard him mutter under his breath, "She'll fit in just fine."