A few days later

Blaise passed me a note during History. Harry and Ron were half asleep and didn't notice.

H,

Can you come to the common room tonight? We'll let you into the dorms. We're planning on playing some games and stuff, and we thought you might want to join, so we can get to know each other better and stuff.

-B

Also we'll be teasing Draco about his crush.

I smiled softly, pulling my quill and softly scribbling out a reply.

B,

That sounds great! Teasing Draco will be excellent fun. What time?

-H

I didn't look over my shoulder while he wrote, doing my best to not draw attention. A reply came a moment later.

8:00 sound okay? We might stay a bit late since it's a Friday.

-B

I wrote a last message.

Perfect, see you then. :)

I looked over my shoulder this time, and he nodded. He didn't smile, he rarely did, but he didn't glare or scowl, and his neutral expression was as close to happy as I'd seen it. That was good enough for me.

That night, I nervously walked to the dungeons. I wasn't sure why I was anxious, because I was now allied with the people who had always made me nervous here before, but it still felt like I was in enemy territory. I learned why when I rounded the corner to find Filch looking deeply suspicious of me.

"What would you be doing lurking around here at this hour, Miss Granger?" he sneered coldly.

I wasn't exactly going to tell him the truth, and doubted he was interested, so I just lied. "I lent my history book to Malfoy, and he forgot to return it. I came to get it, he said he would let me in. If he doesn't come, I'll leave, no worries."

Filch looked at me disbelievingly. He settled himself on a bench and pulled out a book of his own, as if I was his freaking prisoner or something. But not five minutes later, the wall arched open and a door appeared. Draco walked through it.

"Hello Malfoy. Do you have my history book?" I said, praying he would play along.

A glance at Filch was all he needed to understand, and he replied smoothly, "It's in my dorm. Come in and I'll get it for you."

"Thank you." I didn't glance back at Filch, but I could feel his glare burning into the back of my head.

I had never been in the Slytherin commons before. It was a long, rectangular room, with silver accents on the furniture and a dark color scheme. There were windows on one wall that looked into the lake, and the water was currently a deep shade of green. There was a fire, but the light didn't spread very far and there was a very cold atmosphere to the air. In my mind, the Gryffindor common room was a log cabin, warm and comforting. If that was true, the Slytherin room was a throne room, made for elegance and plans and cleverness.

Like the Gryffindor tower, there were two staircases, one for boys, one for girls, leading to the dorms. The boys' door was on the right side of the room, the girls' on the left. The dorms were approximately the same size, but they spread out instead of rising up, as there was no tower. Draco led me down a row at the end of the hall. These were the spares, he explained, for the eighth years.

His dorm was shared with Blaise Zabini and Theodore Nott. Pansy Parkinson was there as well, along with a girl who I shared no classes with named Astoria Selwyn. She had warm, nut-brown hair that was unusual in the pureblood families and cool blue eyes.