After That

The next morning was a Friday. I was very pleased about that, so upon entering the hall, I decided to take a chance.

"Morning, bitches," I said, plopping myself next to Pansy at the Slytherin table. Pansy kissed my cheek. "Morning, Mione."

I smiled at her, blushing fiercely, as usual.

It gave me great pleasure to see Ron gaping openmouthed at me from the other end of the hall, Harry looking only slightly less surprised. Ginny was smirking from next to Luna. Most of the younger Gryffindors couldn't see anything amiss, but plenty of the older ones looked as though something had gone seriously wrong in the composition of the universe. Whatever.

"Pass the hot cocoa?" I asked Astoria, who was pouring herself a dark brown liquid.

"This is coffee," she replied.

I stole her cup and dipped my finger into its contents. "Liar." It was indeed hot chocolate.

"That was the only cocoa I could find," she complained as I poured the rest of the kettle's contents into a mug for myself.

I said nothing, drinking contentedly. "So, how'd it go yesterday with Harry, Drake?"

"You should know," he glared without venom. "As you eavesdropped for the entire two minutes of conversation.

"Aw, so you didn't kiss again and declare your undying love? Pity."

"Speaking of kissing, what was that with the mistletoe?!"

I shrugged, not at all remorsefully. "You looked like you enjoyed it plenty."

"My, my." Pansy said mockingly, "You're turning into quite the Slytherin, Hermione."

"You like it that way."

She didn't deny it.

To my surprise, at that moment, Harry walked across the hall to join us.

"Um, can I talk to you, Malfoy?"

"You already are, Potter."

"I want to apologise, because I lied yesterday." Draco looked worried, but Harry went on. "I said that I just wanted your friendship, but in all honesty, I fancy you. A lot. And, well, I just thought you should know." To my shock and delight, he bent and placed a kiss on Draco's cheek, before turning away to leave.

Draco stood, catching Harry's hand and pulling him back. "Don't leave yet, Harry. I think I should tell you that your feelings are very strongly returned." He rubbed the back of his neck with his hand. "Just, by the way."

Harry looked astonished. He leaned up and whispered something to Draco, that, from what I gathered, sounded like permission to kiss him. Draco nodded.

And that is the story of how two of my best friends ended up snogging in the middle of the Great Hall. I high-fived Pansy enthusiastically.

Draco's hands ended up running through Harry's hair. Harry pulled him closer by the back of the neck. Their mouths could have been made to fit together, and it looked like the climax scene in a rom-com. Nobody, not even the homophobic younger Slytherins, could tell you that they didn't look like this was what they had waited to do their entire lives.

McGonagall walked up to the podium, noticed the two eighth years snogging, and cleared her throat. "Not that I'm not pleased for you boys, but I'd rather you don't traumatize the minds of our first years." Harry and Draco pulled apart, their faces a mixture of pleasure and embarrassment.

"If Albus were still with us, he would owe me twenty Galleons," she continued wistfully.

Most of the older students laughed.

Harry turned away from her and offered Draco his hand. "Be my boyfriend?"

Draco nodded instantly, taking it. "Yes!"

"Scared, Malfoy?"

"You wish."