After Holidays

A few days later, the winter holidays ended and our final term at Hogwarts began. Harry and Ron still hardly studied. Truth be told, I wasn't sure what they were doing these days. Neither played Quidditch any more, neither was dating anyone, and they certainly weren't taking advantage of their educational opportunities. It was disheartening to see them, once so lively, sitting quietly playing an unenthusiastic game of wizarding chess.

I asked them about it at one point, after another class preparing us to retake our NEWTs.

"I just don't have much energy anymore. Everything seems a bit pointless, honestly. We lost so much and I just can't wrap my mind around returning to normal. I don't understand what normal even is at this point." Harry told me dully.

"Why did you stop Quidditch? A while back, you said you loved being on a broom because it was liberating. Don't you think that would help?"

"Maybe. It doesn't appeal anymore. Nothing does."

"I think you have PTSD, Harry. Or something similar. You need a good escape."

"Like what? A trip?"

"Better. A book."

He groaned. "Mione, c'mon! A fairy tale isn't going to help me stop feeling gloomy."

"Harry, when was the last time you read a book for fun?"

He puzzled for a moment. "Dunno."

"Have you ever read a book for fun?"

"Dunno."

"Oh my gods, Harry. You are coming with me right now." I dragged him down the hall towards Gryffindor tower, and then stopped, feeling stupid.

"What is it?"

"I'm an idiot. Accio!"

A few seconds passed, then one of my most battered books flew into sight. I caught it and handed it to him.

"Carry On?" He read aloud. "Never heard of it."

I shrugged. "Try it! I think you'll like it."

"What gives you the impression this will help me?"

"Why do you think I read so much? Reading is a muggle's form of magic. It takes you to other worlds, even if it's only in your imagination. The most affordable means of escape."

"Fine. I'll give it a try."

I beamed. "Great!"

Two days later, Harry was approaching me sheepishly, holding the book I'd lent him.

"Did you like it?" I asked hopefully.

"It was okay, I guess."

I rolled my eyes. I'd know that look of stubborn denial anywhere, so I just pulled out my wand and did another Accio charm. "Here's the sequel, idiot."

"I didn't-" He gave up and accepted it, handing me the one he had finished. "Thanks."

I smirked as he walked off, already opening it. I didn't notice Pansy appear behind me until she spoke.

"Did you just passive aggressively force your friend who hates to read to read a book of like five hundred pages?"

"Essentially, yes."

"You are a force of nature, Hermione Granger."

I turned to face her. She was studying me with an almost fond expression on her face, and I blushed. "Thanks."

"What book was it?"

"Carry On, by the muggle author Rainbow Rowell. The first time I read it I was like genuinely confused to why it seemed so familiar, and then I realized that it was like the author wrote a rip-off of our lives. Like, I'm Penelope, Harry is Simon, Draco is Baz, Ebb is Hagrid, the Mage is Dumbledore... But it's genuinely really good, even if the pacing's a bit wonky. And the character ends up being gay and there's some enemies-to-lovers snogging, so, y'know, perfect."