Panse and Mione

Harry joined our Slytherin group sometimes, although generally he was just with Draco. It seemed like they were making a point to either snog passionately or cuddle adorably in every part of the school. They made a great couple. At first I was worried they were just releasing a bunch of pent-up sexual tension, but I'd encountered them having heart-to-hearts, being annoying together, Harry introducing Draco to every muggle invention he'd missed out on, wearing each others sweaters, going flying together, and so many more little couple-y things, that it was clear that they were genuinely in love.

Ron had some trouble adjusting. He clearly felt betrayed at first, that his best friend had fallen for their sworn enemy. I talked to him a lot, to help understand what he was going through. It took more time for him than for anyone else, because he had never noticed how flirtatious Harry and Draco had always been, so he had had a shock.

But he came to accept it when he found Draco and Harry comforting each other about their families and the war one late night by the lake. Even he could see they really were right together.

Unfortunately, in the weeks following their snogging session in the Great Hall, I began spending less and less time with Pansy. I didn't understand how, but one day I woke up realizing I hadn't spoken to her all week.

It was a Saturday, so I checked most of our usual spots where she would be. I finally found her with Draco in an empty classroom, and to my shock, she was crying.

"What-what am I supposed to do, Dray? I can't let her go. But my family- I don't know what they might do to her. They still would try, even though I can move out and go far away, and even though it's none of their damn business who I date-" She broke off. I noticed a crumpled envelope in one of her hands. I felt horrible for her, and very worried. But also, like who was this her?

"Panse, you need to talk to her. You can't just flirt without commitment, sooner or later you'll have to explain. She'll understand."

"I-I'm scared. I know they don't have power over me, I know they legally aren't my guardians anymore, but I still feel like they'll hurt me if I don't follow them. Or worse, they'd hurt Mione." I pressed myself against the wall, needing support. Pansy was talking about me? I was the girl she wanted to date? But she couldn't, because of her family's interference, it seemed.

I listened for a few minutes longer. "I'm worried she'll notice I'm avoiding her. I don't want to; honestly I want to be near her all the time, but I'm worried I'll endanger her. But she'll want an excuse either way."

"Pansy, I think you should ignore your relatives. Maybe it seems unwise, but there's no more war, and all they have is empty threats. You should be with the girl you like."

"I want some breathing room, I think." She sounded a little less panicked now. "I'll talk with Hermione in a few days and explain about my family's threats. I already choose her over them. But I need to adjust to the idea."

"Good plan." Draco sounded relieved.

"Wait, but what if she doesn't like me that way?" Pansy suddenly sounded extremely worried.

"Pansy, she likes you as much as you like her." Draco assured her. "A shit ton of a lot."

Thanks, Dray. I thought, pleased he knew me so well, in spite of everything else going on in my mind.

I walked away. If it was space she needed, that's what I would give her.

It had been two weeks. Pansy hadn't talked to me; I guess I just wasn't worth the effort. One of her sweaters ended up in my room in some way or another and I was wearing it, like some hopeless post-breakup puddle of melancholy. I didn't understand why it mattered so much to me. I knew what she would have told me anyway, but somehow it wasn't the same. I missed her, all those annoying little turn-ons that I couldn't get enough of.