Escaping the Palace

'Come on, this way.' The blonde said, pulling the bard through the doorway and down the corridor. Fortunately, it was deserted thanks to several well timed distractions all orchestrated by Hunter from afar. It had taken him all morning to put everything into place in preparation for this moment.

'So Hunter, how do you know Eda?' Raine spoke tiredly as they let themselves be dragged along the corridor, their feet half-dragging as they clumsily tried to walk.

Hunter peered around a corner of the corridor before pulling back to face the witch.

'Is this really the time to make small talk?' Hunter said, almost too harshly.

'Probably not. But I also have a concussion that would bring the Titan to tears so forgive me for wanting a little distraction.' Raine snapped back, their skull still vibrating from their ordeal.

Behind his mask, Hunter's eyes widened a little at the response. He knew he could be rather abrupt sometimes. But he was working on it.

'Sorry. You were pretty tough back there you know.' Hunter replied, his tone softening as he took a moment to really look at the person he just freed. They had gone through so much in such a small amount of time, even Hunter wasn't sure how he'd cope if he had been in their position.

Although considering the treachery he had just committed freeing the bard, he may just find that out for himself.

'Yeah. I kinda surprised myself really.' Raine said in disbelief, still amazed at what they had just managed to survive through. Apparently they were stronger than they thought.

Although they weren't able to see it, the Golden Guard smiled behind his mask, 'Yeah you-'

Hunter wasn't able to finish his sentence as the sound of footsteps echoed around the corner.

Panic ran through the witches, as Hunter scanned the surroundings as quickly as he could.

The corridor was empty apart from two large plant pot that decorated either side of a doorway. Making a split decision, Hunter dragged the bard over to the pot and threw them ungracefully behind it. Raine winced and grabbed their stomach as they landed with some force, before scrambling backwards to push themselves as close to the wall as humanly possible so that they were out of sight.

'I'll get rid of them, stay here.' Hunter said sternly. Although it wasn't like Raine could go anywhere in a hurry on their own.

'Golden guard? A familiar deep voice rang out.

It was Darius, the Abominations Coven Leader.

Raine knew if they spotted now, it would be over. They had already succumbed once to Darius and his abomination magic once before and it would be impossible to fight back feeling as weak as they did.

'Is there a problem?' Hunter asked, sounding almost bored as he had hoped that he would draw less attention that way.

'No, I just thought you were out leading the search party for the wild witches.' Darius questioned, his tone sounding suspicious.

'Plans change. You don't need to be informed of every detail do you?' Hunter said cockily causing Darius to narrow his eyes at the younger witch.

Raine held their breath, hoping that Darius would accept the excuse.

'No I suppose I don't.' Darius conceded, a false smile plastered on his face.

'Good day to you then, Darius.' Hunter said, wishing for the Coven Leader to leave as the two stared each other down.

Without saying a word, Darius turned on his heel and walked back the way he came. His cape floating behind him, swishing side to side as he grumbled under his breath something about a 'disrespectful child'.