Wings Of Glory

The bard’s lifeless body lay prone in the darkened tunnel. It wasn’t exactly the peaceful ending they would have liked. Raine had always imagined that they’d live long enough to grow old and frail, spending their days playing their violin and watching the next generation of witches succeed them. But most importantly they had hoped to live out their days with a certain witch. Someone who had always been with them, emotionally and mentally if not physically.

They never intended to die in pain, all alone as their last breath left their body.

They never intended for this to be their end. Their legacy. Their final moments.

So...

It was a good job that it wasn’t over just yet then.

At the tunnel’s end shone a bright light and it was growing closer and closer every second that went by. A loud, whooshing noise caused the stones around the bard’s body to vibrate and shake. The movements started to grow in intensity as the noise got closer and the light grew brighter.

Then all of a sudden, the noise stopped and the light faded into a small ball of light.

Strong arms lifted the broken body gently from the floor and the figure soon took a running jump back down the tunnel, the rapid sound of wings flapping echoing out into the darkness as Raine’s limbs flailed against the change in pressure.

The figure soon approached the end of the tunnel and bright light soon filled their vision.

Cool air prickled Raine’s skin as the pair exited the claustrophobic escape route.

The figure continued to fly for some time before settling down in a pasture of grass that was enclosed by tall trees.

Gentle hands placed the bard onto the grass and a sorrowful cry could be heard.

‘Raine? Wake up.’ The figure spoke, gently shaking Raine’s arm as they knelt next to them.

Silence.

‘Come on, I did not just come all this way for you to die on me now.’ The figure pleaded, their voice cracking by the mention of death.

‘Here, drink this.’ The figure pressed a vial against the bard’s lips and tilted it until every drop of the neon green concoction had disappeared.

‘Come on. Please work.’ The figured muttered to themselves.

Silence.

‘Damn it Raine! Please wake up, I'm lost without you.’ The figure begged, sounding completely broken as they ran their hand though short, mint-green locks.

Silence.

Tears bounced off the bard’s skin and rolled down onto the grass below.

‘I could have told you that.’ A raspy voice rang out.

The figure cried once more, this time for reasons entirely different however.

‘Thank Titan! You're alive! You're alive!’ Raine soon found themselves tightly wrapped in a hug.

It wasn’t until the figure pulled back that Raine was able to open their eyes. The sight before them was confusing to say the least.

In their blurred vision, it appeared that the figure was a woman with two large wings.

‘Am I dead?’ Raine asked hesitantly.

The figure chuckled softly as they wiped away their tears.

‘No you daft fool. You’re alive.’ The figure said, appearing to look more and more familiar by the second.

‘Are you sure? Because you look like an angel to me.’ Raine asked, still unconvinced that they hadn’t left the mortal plane.