Chapter 23: So What Do We Call This?

Gretta sneaks her way over to the safe house's tech room from the living room

Gretta sneaks her way over to the safe house's tech room from the living room. The tech room was small and soundproof, only to be used in an emergency or for situations like the other day when she and Elliot didn't go into the office.

It was currently 7 in the morning, far too early for anyone to be up. She tentatively peeked her head into the room, looking back briefly to make sure no one else had gotten up, before she snuck in and closed the door behind her.

She glanced over at Elliot, who was sitting in the only chair the room had.

It was somewhat claustrophobic. The room was not made for two people and the most it could fit was one chair, one monitor, a desk and some computer servers on the other side.

"So I see you got my text." She says as a greeting.
"You could've just woken me up. We do live together now. Also what's the point in being so secretive when no one else is up?" He asks her, standing to stretch his legs.
"I'm just being cautious." She argues as he comes closer to where she's standing by the door.
"You seem paranoid." Elliot retorts with a snort and Gretta rolls her eyes.

It becomes silent and the air feels tense all of the sudden.

"What did you want to talk about?" Elliot asks, whispering slightly.

"...about us." Gretta explains, leaning forward so she can circle her arms around his neck.
"What about us?"
"I mean...what are we? What is this? I don't particularly care—or at least I thought I didn't. But suddenly everything feels so real all of the sudden. I like you...a lot."
"I like you too." Elliot says, interrupting Gretta's speech for a moment and calming her rapidly beating heart. She smiles, a small and brief thing as she nods.
"Good." Then her face turns serious again. "Normally this wouldn't bother me...but I need to know that this isn't some casual thing: you and me, I mean."
"It's not for me, if isn't for you." Elliot says, like it's obvious and simple.

But Gretta is a worrier at heart and can't let it go.

"I'm glad...but it also makes me worried. What if we're just together because of proximity?"
"Maybe we are...but does that matter?"
"What do you mean?" She asks, looking confused.
"I don't like you just because you're here. I like you because you're you. You're smart, you're funny, you keep me on my toes. You're way too stubborn sometimes but I definitely don't get bored around you either."

Gretta grins at his compliments.

"Thanks. I feel the same way about you." Elliot smiles back at her.

"See? We have nothing to worry about."

"Thanks." She says, kissing his cheek.

"You're welcome."

"So," Gretta says after a moment, "since we're talking about this...does this mean you're okay with being my boyfriend?" Elliot smiles and there's a slight blush on his cheeks.

"Uh...yeah. Sure, if you'll be my girlfriend."

"Duh! I wouldn't be asking otherwise." Gretta replies, causing Elliot to roll his eyes.

Once they had finished their conversation, they escaped the tech room and went back to their bedroom to get some more sleep.

Later that morning, though they were still keeping everything hidden, Gretta held Elliot's hand under the table, happy that they finally put a label to define their relationship.

Author's Notes

I👏HAVE👏MISSED👏THESE👏TWO👏SO👏MUCH!

I haven't had the motivation to write and am busy with stuff for graduation (since I'm graduating high school this month). Also figuring out how to end this chapter was more difficult than I expected. I'm hoping once summer starts I'll be able to write more chapters more frequently before I start college❤️

I figured I'd upload something so anyone who reads this book knows I'm alive lol

This chapter is very different from what it was originally. They had a moment at the vending machine I planned out back when they were staying in Europe but since that's not happening, I thought of a quiet and small place where they could talk...amongst other things👀

This conversation was going to have to happen eventually. This is good though, the two are defining their relationship, what it means, why it's happening, etc.

Healthy communication in any relationship (romantic or not) is very important :)

And I mean,, any interactions between these two is golden and I absolutely love writing their banter with each other </3

BatgirlGeek❤️

P.S. I was reading last chapter just because one day and I lowkey hate it now because there are so many typos. At one point I wrote down the name of the youtuber I watch to write down the dialogue instead of Grace's name. I think this is a sign I need to stop writing these chapters late at night lol