Chapter 22: Crossing the Desert (P2)

The next day, Grace and Carmen reconvened so they could discuss The Sword

"Grace, now that your investigation's over, we must focus on finding the Chief's killer. I heard it was Jonah who warned us that The Sword had fled into the desert! I knew Jonah was a good guy!"

Grace hears a scoff behind her and turns just as Marina is strutting over.

"Jonah Karam is a psychopath! We shouldn't believe a word he says!" She accuses.

"Whoa! Marina, you really have it in for Jonah! If I didn't know you better, I'd think it's personal!"

"It's just a feeling, Carmen, but...my intuition's never wrong! I'm a psychologist, remember!"

"If you're worried about him, maybe we should do a background check." Grace suggested. Marina nods, seeming to be pleased with that.

"Well, if Grace's up for a background check on Jonah, I'm in! His last assignment was for SandOil's CEO, so the refinery's a good place to start."

"We should also check the plane site on the way, just in case."

"I agree, Grace, we should also investigate the plane wreck. Many people who cross the desert pass through that site...and one of them could be our elusive assassin, The Sword! Let's go, Grace!"

ılı.lıllılı.ıllı.

"Grace, is that torn photo all you've got? How's that going to help us find The Sword?"

Grace gives Carmen a deadpan look. She didn't blame her for being annoyed. They had taken a detour from the oil refinery to go to the plane wreck only to find a ripped up photo. But ripped up photos didn't just happen and Grace was sure it was important to the investigation.

"Just trust me!"

"Sorry, Grace, you're right: complaining won't help, restoring the photo might! Let's do it, then!"

ılı.lıllılı.ıllı.

"Huh."

"What? What is it?" Carmen asks, coming over as Grace holds up the photo.

"Grace, the photo you restored is a selfie of Benjamin! But why is Benjamin holding a sign that says 'Greetings from Mr. Sparkle's Theme Park'? He's not in any theme park, he's right here, by this plane wreck!"

"I don't know exactly...but I have a feeling that he's trying to disguise where he is."

"You think Benjamin's taken that selfie to lie about his whereabouts? But who's he trying to fool?"

"Well, we're right here, so we might as well ask the source himself."

"You're right, we'd better ask Benjamin about this!"

ılı.lıllılı.ıllı.

"Benjamin, Detective Grace's found your selfie. With a message that says you're in a theme park...but on the picture, you're standing here, in the Sahara! Care to explain?"