Chapter 24: Killing Spring

Grace and Carmen had intended on going to the nearby town Ingrid had suggested where protesters were currently trying to overthrow their Sultan, but Carmen had gotten distracted by an oasis in the distance which is how the two detectives ended by ...

Grace and Carmen had intended on going to the nearby town Ingrid had suggested where protesters were currently trying to overthrow their Sultan, but Carmen had gotten distracted by an oasis in the distance which is how the two detectives ended by a river with a dead body in front of them.

"Darn it! That man...he's dead!" Carmen says as they walk over. "You gotta be kidding me, Grace. Why is it that everywhere we go, we find a dead body?"

"I've ask myself the same question. None of my cases in the 17 years I've worked as a detective have ever not involved a dead body." Grace says, rolling her eyes in annoyance before continuing.

"Anyway, we can't turn away now. People don't just end up dead by rivers."

"I know," Carmen replies. "We can't turn a blind eye to this--we'll have to investigate! But if we're lucky, this man's death might be linked to The Sword."

"How do you think he was killed?" Grace asks curiously.

"If you ask me, it looks like our victim was killed by your average bullet wound. But we'd better send his body to Angela to be sure."

"Yeah, I agree with you." Grace replies, a little distracted as she picks up a locket from the ground.

"What did you pick up, Grace? Good eye, this locket has a picture of our victim on it! And look, there's some faded writing on the other side! I'll grab your dusting kit!" Carmen says as she goes back to the jeep which was in running distance.

"Ok. I'm going to call headquarters to tell them about the body and look in these reeds." Grace says as she pulls out her phone.

ılı.lıllılı.ıllı.

"Good job on the victim's locket you found at the crime scene, Grace. The inscription reads 'Fatima & Hamza'. So our victim was called Hazma? That name does sound familiar, Grace. Let me look it up online."

After a few minutes, Carmen reports her findings.

"That's it! Hazma Boussefi! He was the leader of that protest movement we came here to investigate."

"This woman must be his wife." Grace notes, looking at the locket.

"You're right. We'd better go break the news to Fatima about her husband! What was hidden among those reeds you picked Grace?" Grace hands Carmen a hook to observe. "Some kind of...hook? And it's covered in blood! The killer won't get off the hook with you on the case, Grace! Let's get this hook to Lars."

ılı.lıllılı.ıllı.

"Hello, Fatima. I'm Detective Grace and this is my partner, Carmen. We're from the Bureau and unfortunately we're here to inform you that your husband has been murdered."

"My...my husband's dead? But...he was my hero! He was the people's hero!"

"I understand this is difficult for you, Mrs. Boussefi." Carmen says. "But we need to know if there's anyone who might've wanted to hurt Hamza."