(Chapter 11)

11.07AM, Sunday, Dec. 6th

Seetrees Amusement Park, New York

Date With Mr. Right Now (2)

"Isn't he hot?"

"Should I talk to him...?"

"Go away!" I yelled at the group of girls peeking at Jake from behind a tree. They squealed, and scattered.

 "Jealous?" Jake asked, smirking, putting an arm around my shoulders and pulling me to him. I was wearing what he'd said he liked - my black t-shirt with a giant ape's face printed on it, and my favorite jeans.

"No!" I snapped, grumpily. "Of course not."

"Don't worry..." he whispered, right into my ear. "I think you're cute when you're jealous."

With blazing cheeks, I shoved him away. "Shut up," I snapped, walking before he could say anything else.

"Come back, S!" Jake caught up with me quickly, grabbing my hand and yanking me back. "Where d'you think you're going?"

"Away from you, you...you...idiot."

He widened his green-grey eyes innocently, and smiled a breathtakingly beautiful smile. I blinked, dazzled.

"Do you want to go on some rides, or do you want to stand here calling me names?"

Why was I mad at him, again? I can't remember. Damn it.

In typical boy style, Jake immediately picked the biggest and most terrifying ride in the whole park, with the longest queue.

"Are you worried?" he asked.

I eyed the portion of the ride I could see. An up-side down cart rushed along the steel tubing, the passenger's faces all contorted into masks of terror.

"No," I replied, unconvincingly.

Jake hugged me, smirking. "You have me... I'll protect you, I promise."

I raised an eyebrow. "How?"

"You know...just...I definitely will."

"Okay, we're rushing along the ride. Suddenly my seatbelt comes undone. The plastic arm-ish bit is loose. You have one second to react, before I fall down, about to meet my inevitable squishy end. What do you do?"

He thought for a while, then stuck his tongue out at me. "Obvious. I magic up a new seatbelt, and keep the plastic arm-ish bit down with my amazing strength."

***

"That was so exhilarating!" I said, jumping off the ride, and walking to a bench. I sat down. "I've never felt so alive! Wasn't that amazing? Jake? Jake...?"

I turned around, to see Jake retching into a plastic bag.

"That was awful," he gasped, throwing the bag into a bin. "How could you have liked that? Are you some kind of monster?"

"Oh, Mr. I'll-Protect-You is actually a wimp?"

"Shut up. I'm not a wimp. I just...don't like rides." Even in his pasty, white-faced state, he was attracting a lot of stares. I stared angrily at the girls, and they moved away.

"Wimp," I snapped.

"Shut up...or I'll...I'll..."

"Puke at me?"

He glared at me harder, looking more like a vulnerable kid than anything else. I smirked at him. "Shut up."

"Okay, okay," I soothed. "I get it. I'm sorry. Everyone has their flaws."