(Chapter 17)

12.52AM, Sunday, Dec. 13th

Rockfall Ice Rink, New York

“Remind me…honey,” I hissed, my teeth chattering. I spat out the word ‘honey’ like it was something poisonous. “Why are we in this place?”

“Isn’t it great?” he exclaimed, smiling widely despite the fact that his lips, like mine, were probably numb with cold. His teeth glinted in the moonlight, the only source of light in the black sky. I shivered. We’d come out in typical tourist style – without scarves, hats or gloves. I saw some seasoned New-Yorkers stare at us sympathetically as they glided around the ice rink in those snug, fur-lined coats.

“No, it’s not, Jake,” I snapped. The cold was getting to me. “I want to go home. This is awful. I think my eyeballs are frozen.”

“You look funny,” he said, laughing, grabbing my hand. His warm flesh felt like fire on my freezing hands. Jake was lucky – he had naturally warm fingers. I bet I was going to get frostbite. Our rings twinkled next to each other cheerily. “Your nose is all red.”

“Do you see me laughing?” I just about managed to get the words out. Whenever I opened my mouth, I subjected my tongue to the cold, which was pretty much agonizing. “Can we go home now?”

“But we got our ice skates on,” Jake protested, looking at me pleadingly. “It took you ages. Your hands were shaking.”

“That’s why we should go home!” I said, pulling my shaking hands from his warm ones, even though my thawed flesh immediately started numbing again. “It’s so cold!”

Jake sighed, and pulled off his coat. He draped it around my shoulders.

“Better?”

His leather jacket was warm from his body heat, and I could smell Jake’s shampoo from the soft material. I smiled at him.

“Much better,” I admitted, before adding reluctantly, just so I didn’t seem heartless, “but aren’t you going to be cold?”

Jake looked at me, smirking. “When I’m with you, I’m never cold.”

It was the kind of cheesy line that no one but him was able to say with a straight face. I pulled the coat up, so it covered half of my face, to hide my suddenly burning red cheeks.

“Shut up,” I mumbled ineligibly, the only thing I could think of to say. Seeing his self-satisfied smirk, I quickly changed the topic. “Do you want to skate or not?”

“I thought you said you didn’t want to skate?”

“But we got our ice skates on. It took me ages. My hands were shaking.”

***

1.21AM, Sunday, Dec. 13th

Rockfall Ice Rink, New York

Jake pulled my hand, harder. I laughed, resisting, pulling him to other way. He tugged again, and I lost my balance, collapsing onto the cold ice, my butt making a smacking noise. I thought I heard some other couple laughing, and I shot a glare at them, I wincing simultaneously. I hated falling

But it’s so satisfying when you take someone down with you.

I pulled his hand, hard, and Jake fell. I giggled when I heard the satisfying noise of butt against ice.

“That was unnecessary,” Jake grumbled, straightening his hair.

“You’re so vain,” I giggled, as he attempted to comb his fringe with his fingers.

He froze, and stared at me with fake anger. “What did you say?”

“I said…you’re so vain…” I managed to choke out, through my laughter.

Jake sat up, pushing me to the ice with the palm of his hand. I gave a yelp of surprise. Thank God my jacket was insulating. He looked down at me, his grey-green eyes bright and playful.

“Now I ask you again…” he said, his tone dangerous. “What did you say?”

“I said, you’re so vain.”

“Right,” Jake said, his teeth gleaming in the moonlight. “You asked for it.”

Without warning, he pulled his jacket off my shoulders. He let go of my hand again, and I felt down on the ice. I gave a sharp intake of breath when the cold ice met my skin, separated only by thin material.

“Jake!” I protested, reaching out. Laughing, he darted back out of reach. I struggled to my feet, holding desperately onto the side. I couldn’t skate. Jake knew that. But already, he had glided smoothly away, making it impossible for me to reach him. “Jake, come back! I’m cold.”

“If you want the jacket,” he yelled, from the centre of the rink. “Come and get it!”

I gritted my teeth. Without the jacket, cold was beginning to set into my bones again. All the hard work I’d put into thawing out of my body was now being wasted. My teeth chattered like mad as I inched, slowly, painfully, towards where Jake was. He smirked at me, as I glared.

“Jake…” I whined as I made my way closer. “Please, have mercy…I’m freezing…”

“Then say it.”

“Say what?”

“Say I’m not vain.”

“But –” I started. Jake dangled the jacket enticingly. “Fine! You’re not vain, okay? I just –”

Wham! I collapsed, onto the ice rink, my shoulder aching. I looked up at the big, muscled guy who’d knocked me over.

“Watch it,” he sneered, his girlfriend tittering. “You hurt my arm.”

“You’re the one who should watch it,” Jake said, quietly.

I gasped. When had Jake gotten here? He’d been at least a hundred yards away, and suddenly, quickly as a flash, he was next to me. The expression on his face was scary. It wasn’t anger – no, that would’ve been a hundred times better. No, his face was completely emotionless, like a still, undisturbed lake. But I could sense his fury brewing underneath.

“Who are you?” the guy snapped. “Get out of my way!”

“I believe you have to apologize to my girlfriend, first,” Jake said. His voice was calm, too. He sounded so detached, so clinical it was hard for me to believe. It was like he had turned into a whole other person.

“Who, the ugly girl over there? Why? She hit me!”

“I like to give people second chances,” Jake murmured, almost to himself. I stared at his face, worried. He wasn’t as tall as the other guy, and had about half of his brawn.

“But I think you don’t deserve a second chance.”

And then he lashed out.

Blood splattered on the ice.

***
Author's Note: Confusing new Wattpad Upload page...Keep typing chapter names into tags box -__-

Anyways, I want to go iceskating so bad. I miss the constant aching of your butt afterwards. I love you all!!!

P.S.VOMMENT!!