(Chapter 13)

8.52PM, Wednesday, Dec. 9th

Manhattan Village, New York

I gave a deep sigh of relief. Thank God that was over.

Blane had left with his sister, and Oscar had gone to the restroom. It was just me and Jake.

"Well, uh..." I said, awkwardly. "I guess I have to go."

"Wait," Jake said, grabbing my hand, and pulling me back. He stared at me, is grey-green eyes adamant. "How long have you known Oscar?"

"What?" I asked, frowning. I leaned, my back against the wall. "What are you talking about? I've been friends with Oscar...since...well, Kindergarten."

"Really?" Jake shrunk back, looking disappointed somehow. "Then... Are you the girl?"

"What girl?"

"Oscar's best friend?"

"I...Yeah, I guess." My lips curled up into a smirk. "Don't tell me...are you jealous you're not Oscar's best friend?"

"No...Of course not..." he murmured. He didn't look like he was in the mood to talk. "It's nothing like that. But...Summer?"

"Yeah?"

"Can you do me a favor, and not tell Oscar we're dating?"

This struck me as kind of weird. "Why?"

"I mean...just...don't." This was the most serious I'd ever seen him.

"Fine, I won't, but why don't you want me to? Come on, if I'm going to lie to my best friend, I need to know the reason."

Kind of hypocritical on my part, but I guess I'm just nosy.

"Uh...well..."

Oscar was back, smiling. He frowned at Jake. "Jake, don't you have to get to your job?"

He checked his watch, and gaped. "Oh, you're right. I'm totally late."

"Why do you have a job?" I asked. "I mean, it's a proper one, right?"

"Jake doesn't get money from his parents. He pays for his University fees by himself," Oscar said, sharing a quick look with Jake. I looked between them. What did that mean? Was Jake poor? I bit my lip. I mean, I wasn't rich either, but at least my Mom could afford to send me to University...If I ever got into one. Which I'm starting to doubt.

There was an awkward silence. I wasn't judging Jake. I didn't mind if he wasn't super-rich, or something. I just never knew...

"Summer, do you want to watch?" Oscar suddenly asked, his eyes glinting. "You like to watch sweaty guys in shorts, right?"

I smirked at Jake, who was looking terrified. "Of course."

***

ʘ Blane ʘ

"Was that fun enough for you?" I asked.

"Socializing with the commoners? Yeah, it was great."

"Don't call them that," I said, through my teeth.

"What, because your girlfriend is one?"

"Rebecca!"

"Don't worry, I won't tell Mom. Just don't go stupid and propose, okay?"

There was silence in the car, because Rebecca broke it again.

"Do you know who that other guy was?" Rebecca asked.

I glanced at her, before reverting my gaze back to the dark road we were driving on. "No. But I think his name was Oscar."

"No, not Oscar!" Rebecca said, rolling her eyes. "The other guy. The hot guy."

"Uh...Jack? Jake? Something like that."

"What was his surname?" she asked, thoughtfully.

"I don't know, I'm not his brother!"

"Was it Brooks? Because I think Summer mentioned it something like that."

"Yeah...Maybe..." I murmured, not really paying attention.

"Because Jake Brooks is the heir to Rise Enterprises...He's Alexis's brother. You know Alexis, right? Stupid question, everyone knows Alexis."

"What?" I spluttered, suddenly paying attention. "Really?"

"Yeah, I read about it somewhere... But apparently he's some kind of bad boy. Shunned his family and is trying to live independent, but he still made New York's Most Eligible Bachelor's List. He's really amazing. Do you think I have a chance with him? Well, obviously he likes Summer, but -"

"What are you talking about? He's Summer's cousin."

"Really?" she said, doubtfully. "Are you so sure about that? I mean, the way he looks at her..."

"Shut up," I snapped. "He's definitely her cousin."

***

9.12PM, Wednesday, Dec. 9th

Glebson Boxing Ring, New York

The stadium was smaller than I expected. A small illuminate square, cut off with rope, and slightly raised. This place was more like a pub than anything, with a small bar in the corner. There were dozens of men on the side, looking all testosterone-y and excited. There eyes followed me in a way that was kind of creepy, but I didn't blame them. I was probably the only girl who'd set foot in there in the entire history of their pub/boxing ring. The air smelt of beer and cigarette smoke that made my eyes water.

"When's Jake coming on?" I asked Oscar. He shrugged.

"Soon, I guess. Three minutes."

I looked at some dark stains on the stadium thing, which looked suspiciously like blood. I turned to Oscar, feeling kind of worried.

"Oscar...it is safe, and everything?" I asked. "I mean...he won't get hurt, right?"

He narrowed his eyes. "Why do you care?"

"I don't care," I said, quickly. "I'm just stating, as a casual third-party observer, that it looks kind of dangerous. I mean...look at those blood stains."

He followed my gaze. "Oh, right." He seemed to relax. "Don't worry, Jake's amazing. He's never lost. None of that is his blood, I promise."

I bit my lip, not really consoled. Was I being too over-protective? I mean, I'm sure he'll be fine. This would never be dangerous. Not really. But I couldn't help but feel kind of worried.

***

Author's Note: Sorry about short parts! Don't worry, I hate myself more than you hate me. I'm just trying to prepare for my new book, which'll be released soon :)

VOMMENT!!!