(Chapter 18

1.26AM, Sunday, Dec. 13th

Outside Rockfall Ice Rink, New York

“Jake, stop!” I cried hysterically, trying to pull him back. Jake shook me off and threw another punch, getting the nose of his opponent. Then, grabbing the guy’s head, Jake slammed his knee into the man’s skull. Jake’s attacker stumbled back. There was a blood stain on Jake’s t-shirt.

“Jake, I’m begging you,” I tried, tugging at his jacket. Jake ignored me “Please don’t do this…Jake…”

His opponent tried one last, desperate punch and his fist slammed hard into Jake’s torso. My breath caught in my throat. The guy stared up at Jake, like he was waiting for something.

But Jake did nothing but cock his head to the side, a small smirk appearing on his lips. My blood froze. How could this happen? How could the cute, funny, nice guy I was dating turn out to be like…this? How could Jake be this scary side?

“Are you kidding?” Jake chuckled, his voice full of cold humor. He brushed the place he’d been punched like it had been nothing but a gentle touch, and not a hard punch. “Was that seriously meant to hurt me? You haven’t been taught to hit properly, right?” He laughed, again, taking on step towards his quivering adversary. “Maybe…I should teach you.”

“No!” the guy yelled, backing away. He was trying to keep himself together. Blood was trickling down his cheek and his gasp of terror revealed that he was missing a tooth. “You won’t do this! You’ll regret it! I’ve got friends, you know – powerful people who will hurt you!”

“Was that a threat?” Jake sighed, almost playfully. “Didn’t your mother ever tell you that threats aren’t very…nice?”

On the word nice, Jake grabbed a fistful of the man’s hair and slammed it into a wall. He was out cold. I gaped. I can’t believe Jake just did that! I stared at his face, lit with a sort of savage glory and wondered, who was this guy?

Our gazes met, and I saw the crazed frenzy in his eyes. Slowly, as if he was coming to his senses, the light faded away. Jake shook his head once, like he’d been confused, and when our eyes met again, he looked normal.

This can’t be happening. This can’t be the guy I fell in love with.

I froze. What?

Did I just think that? Had I really fallen in love?

***

1.31AM, Sunday, Dec. 13th

Outside Rockfall Ice Rink, New York

“– and don’t come back!” the manager yelled. We stumbled out of the rink. I glared at Jake, who was nursing his bleeding knuckles. Boo-hoo. I bet the other guy would be so sorry for him, as he lies in his hospital bed.

“Jake!” I yelled, slapping his chest. “What the hell was that in there?”

“I’m sorry,” he mumbled, looking guilty. Oh, so he was guilty. Good for him. Like his guilt could make anything better. “I didn’t mean to do that.”

“You didn’t mean to do that?” I said, disbelievingly. “You didn’t mean to do that? What, punching that guy in the face? Blowing his chin? Grabbing his head and slamming it into a wall? You didn’t mean to do that?”

“I said I’m sorry! What do you want me to do?”

“Why the hell don’t you apologize to the guy you damn well nearly killed?” I snapped. I couldn’t believe Jake. How could he do that to another human being? I mean, the first time I’d met him, I knew he could get like this, but I had no idea he could get like…that.

“I can’t!”

“Why not?”

“Because that guy insulted you, okay?” he yelled. “That guy called you names, and I didn’t like that, I lost control. I couldn’t handle seeing you hurt.”

I rolled my eyes, staring up at a streetlamp. Some part of me was actually happy – really happy he cared so much about me. I know, okay? I was a sick freak. But I guess…that’s what love did to you.

 “That’s such crap, Jake,” I said, though my voice was gentler. “I can handle being called names. I’m a big girl now. I can deal with a loser like him myself. You didn’t have to…”

“I know,” he murmured, looking down at his feet. “I told you – sometimes I lose control.”

He looked so helpless in that moment, I couldn’t help but pull him into a gentle hug.

“I was really worried about you, you know,” I mumbled, into his warm chest. Jake toyed with a strand of my hair.

“Really?” he asked, his voice low and husky. “You were worried about me?”

“Yeah, I guess,” I grumbled, not wanting to admit it. “Stupid, I know.”

“It’s not stupid. It’s sweet.”

We both said nothing for a few moments, letting the silence soothe the remains of our argument.

“Jake…?”

“Hmm?”

I pulled away from him and stared very seriously into his eyes.

“Jake, can you promise not to fight any more?”

He frowned. “What? Summer, you know my job…”

“I know someone who owns a restaurant,” I said, quickly, ignoring the guilty twinge at the thought of Blane. I pushed it away. “I can get you a job with excellent pay…and no violence.”

“Well…if it’s what you want…”

I smiled, my heart feeling lighter. Thank God he agreed. Now I will know that he’s always safe. I don’t care if I’m being crazy over-protective, as long as I know he’s unharmed.

“Good.”

I stood on my tiptoes to give him a kiss.

***

Ж Oscar Ж

“Are you kidding me?” I yelled. “Why the hell are you quitting?”

“Someone…asked me to.”

I gave a bitter smile. “Summer. Of course.” She does hate violence. But I had no idea he would actually do it – unless…he actually cared about her.

Jake pulled off his jacket, looking tired. He rubbed his shoulder. I guessed that was where his bruise was. I immediately felt guilty for my bitterness. He’d been protecting her, after all. If it had been me, I wouldn’t have had the guts to do anything at all. In many ways, he was suited for her. Summer was delicate and fragile and needed to be looked after. Jake was that guy.

“But you loved fighting at that club,” I said, pushing down the resentment. “Are you really going to leave all your boxer friends?”

Even though they fought on an almost daily basis, there were really no hard feelings between them at all. They were all friends – most of the “boxers hating each other” thing was simply a publicity stunt, to keep up their image.

“I guess…” he muttered, rubbing his eyes. “Look, I’ve got to get some sleep tonight. I’ll tell the boys tomorrow. Can you switch the lights off?”

I sighed. “Sure.”

***

Author's Note: Interesting fact about me? I'm addicted to Zenonia. It's seriously messing up my writing time. Damn it. Anyways here is a smily for you all - I just discovered it, but I think its cool 

(0v0)      

Owl. Use it wisely.

Vomment!!!!!