ν | thirteen

SALT AIR.

I inhaled deeply and let my shoulders sag with closed eyes. I pictured a blue sea, with waves crashing in and creating an outline of froth as it pushed and swept in the sands again and again. I've always wanted to take a stroll by the sea with someone I loved and hold hands together as my dress danced to the song of the sea and the wind. I hoped that it would be Ivan but maybe I'll get to do it with the right man.

Aphrodite's eyes scanned through the place. There were shirtless men, with white trousers and toned chests. Some lugged a heavy net of dead fish towards a storage house and some hurried to get to where they were needed. Only a few of them noticed Aphrodite's chariot and paused to whisper among themselves that a Goddess had come to visit. "Do you know where Nerites will be?" I whispered.

"This is the residing area of the fifth class. Nerites belongs to the third class and there is also talk that he would be joining the second class of minor Gods because of his noble lineage. He might be somewhere around Poseidon's home. Let's go," Aphrodite informed me and carried forward with elegant and swift steps. I quickened my pace to match her stride.

As we walked further, the road branched out into two. I could see that one was bordered with small cozy houses and trees. The other seemed plain and rarely used. Exactly as I guessed, Aphrodite started on the latter road where the noise and chatter of people were minimal. Far away, I could see a woman doing her laundry and pinning the wet clothes onto a line in her backyard. Her son ran around her with something in his hands, and she smiled as he played with the sleeves of the hanging shirt.

Anonymous trees dotted the road until a glimpse of a pale building peeked through. I knew that that was Poseidon's home. A few yards before the mansion, a narrow path rivuleted sideways into a residential area. Aphrodite stopped.

"Is this where he lives?"

"Probably. Let's check it out."

I nodded. The place held a comfortable silence and the coolness of the water. One house after another, we kept going until an enormous building rose into my vision. It had a triangular roof and concrete pillars supporting it and arching into a gateway of the building. Greek letters in sea-green were carved out at the top. "Is this--is this the--"

"Yes, Mae. This is Poseidon's school."

"Whoa, it is so beautiful," I breathed out. I looked up and down at the architectural masterpiece rooted in front of me and marvelled at it's perfection. "Are all schools designed the same way?"

"Yes. The outline of the building and the exterior architecture is similar to every school but the functions of the rooms and spaces inside are designed according to the school's main specialisation and need. It is a highly secured building because all the important records and data go here. I'll see if I can get you inside my school."

I grinned at her. "Thank you. I am really curious."

"Lady Aphrodite," A man said, bending low to show his respect. He wore green trousers and a stringed necklace of chipped pebbles. If his face was a little leaner and his nose a little longer, he would replace Sam Claflin as Finnick in The Hunger Games. This man was too handsome for his own good.

"Nerites. What a delight. I was looking for you," Aphrodite exclaimed, joining her hands together. My lips opened.

"Looking for me, my lady? May I ask why?" He smiled. And that's when I was struck with envy over the female population in Olympus. Greek men were a treat for your eyes.

Aphrodite trailed a finger on his arm. "I came all the way here to spend time with you."

Nerites took a step back, making Aphrodite's finger fall. "M-me?"