π | sixteen

MY MIND FOGGED UP WITH QUESTIONS as Blissia pulled me through labyrinthine corridors. My heart thumped, anxious that Tyhi was involved in the situation. Was he in trouble? And why is Helios considered to be a threat?

"Helios is waiting for Lord Hephaestus to meet him in the parlour. Make sure that Tyhi is gone before he ends his conversation with the Lord," Hyacinth had instructed her daughter. What did that mean?

I couldn't keep my mouth shut anymore. I halted and pulled Blissia into the storage room. "Mae, what are you doing? We have to hurry!"

I pressed my palm against her mouth. "Don't panic," I said and her eyes almost popped out of her sockets. "Promise me that you will not shout in surprise when I remove my hand."

She nodded. I put my hands down. "You can speak?" She whisper-shouted.

"That's not the point. What is the connection between Tyhi and Helios? What is going on?" I asked her.

"But- Mae, why were you pretending? I don't understand—"

"I'll explain it all to you later, okay? Now tell me why you are ushering Tyhi out of here." I asked.

She swallowed and looked aside. "Tyhi and Helios don't share a very good relationship. If they are together in the same room, somehow an argument or a brawl will find itself borne. There is no one Tyhi hates more than him."

"Why?"

"Helios worked here as Lord Hephaestus' neanis and Tyhi was a young boy running around behind him. He looked up to him a lot and Tyhi harboured a soft spot for him. But, when Helios found himself in the good graces of Lord Apollo, he packed up one day without a word and left the mansion to join Lord Apollo's school. He didn't even care to say goodbye to any of us, not even Tyhi. It broke his heart. The next time they saw each other Helios didn't even glance at him. He acted too proud and arrogant as if he was superior to everyone just because he had become Lord Apollo's friend. Tyhi began hating him. When they are together, they always end up causing a scene. So, we keep them away."

"Why is Tyhi so bothered? Were they best friends?"

"No," Blissia whispered, "Tyhi and Helios are brothers."

My eyes widened at the information. "What?"

"Yes. Mother said Lady Aphrodite had brought both of them here one night and announced that they were a part of our family from then. When Helios was here, he was the most radiant person I knew. I even had a silly crush on him. I used to run behind him and whenever he appreciated Tyhi or hugged him, I used to burn with jealousy. They were very close and brotherly. But after Helios left and ignored him, Tyhi grew distant. He was much more open and easy to converse with than he is now."

"Tyhi never once mentioned it to me," I mumbled to myself, saddened. But I understood why he never did. Also, I rewinded back to the morning's conversation between Tyhi and his uncle and everything made sense now. They were talking about Helios. But didn't they mention something about invitations?

"Tyhi knew you could speak so well?" Blissa asked, her eyes hoping for me to announce that she was the first one to know my secret.

I smiled at her innocence. "Yes. He found out the first day and I couldn't do anything other than to beg him to keep it a secret."

"Why?" she asked. " And don't worry, I won't tell anyone either."

"Thank you. I'll explain everything later. We are running out of time and we have to hurry," I reminded her and she nodded, barging out of the room. Viquen was nowhere to be seen and Blissia remembered with regret that she had sent him to get her flowers. If he had been there, he would know of Tyhi's whereabouts.