B | twenty-seven

I FELT SICK. An anxious ball of feelings curled inside my stomach, making me want to puke out everything inside me. I was hoping it would lighten my heavy heart. The sun hid quickly, as if afraid to watch the events that were about to unfold. It was evening, dark and cold.

Tyhi rubbed my back soothingly, up and down, in an ineffective attempt to calm me down. The jitters, the dread of leaving Olympus, leaving Tyhi-- the combination of it made a brutal attack on me, crushing my ribs and suffocating my lungs. It was becoming too much. He took my fingers, rolled them in his and nipped my fingertips with kisses. "It will be alright," he whispered, between every kiss. Tyhi thought he was doing a good job of hiding the sadness, but he was wrong. His eyes said everything. The bright, alluring sunsets were dull, drained out and clouded with a veil of impending gloom.

"Mae!" Blissia's voice echoed in a whisper. I turned around on Tyhi's lap and met with Blissia's excited and nervous eyes. "Lady Aphrodite just returned with Lord Ares. I saw her turn Alectryon into a rooster and I have never seen anything like it. It was magical and terrifying at the same time!"

"Did she have any trouble?"

"She struggled a few times but in the end she was successful," Blissia said and then leaned in to whisper, "She asked Lord Ares to kiss her before she tried to transform Alectryon. I didn't know why but it worked."

Aphrodite had agreed to invite Ares for a night at her home, planting the idea in his head of how thrilling it would be to make love to each other on her marriage bed. Ares had fallen for the bait and agreed, eager to offend his brother in any way possible. But, I'd asked Aphrodite to turn Alectryon into a rooster before she brought Ares here. It would only be wise to do so. I was afraid she wouldn't be able to muster up the emotional height needed for it, but Aphrodite had been clever about it. She used desire and lust to fuel the transformation.

"Where are they?" I asked.

"Just slipped inside the bedroom."

I slumped back against Tyhi and his arms came around me, his chin resting on my shoulders. I patted the seat next to us and Blissia hunched her shoulders before joining us. She looked petite and small. Whenever I looked at her, I couldn't help but feel like I was leaving behind a sister. Since I was an only child, the bond I had formed with Blissa was special and something I had always wished for-- to talk about boys, clothes and makeup, exchange stories and laugh together. I had become attached to her more than I had realized.

I ruffled her hair. "When all this ends and I have to leave, I'm going to miss you," I said. My heartbeat was painfully slow, forced to push through the heavy walls.

"Don't remind me," she said and turned away.

"I'm serious, Blissia. This could be the last time I'm talking to you." Tyhi's hands curled over my hips and the pressure hurt me. But I needed it to ground myself. The pain helped.

Blissia forced her eyes to meet mine. "Take care of yourself, alright? Don't skip meals when you are working. Don't be afraid to ask Lady Aphrodite for anything you want. Be bold. And continue to support your brother and your mother. I'm so glad I got a chance to spend time with you," I said.

Tears slipped out of her eyes. "And don't you cry like this after I'm gone," I said, pulling her close to me. She let out a weak laugh and buried her head in the crook of my arms.

"And take care of my man," I said, patting Tyhi's shoulders. "He's going to be so lost without me." I meant to lighten the mood but the atmosphere only became sullen; Tyhi's arms tightened. Blissia nodded and hugged me again.